Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

UTI/Urinary Tract Infection Taking Rusty to vet today

piggiecrazy

Cavy Slave
My boar Rusty has had some blood in his urine. We just noticed it Wednesday. I called and have an appointment for Friday at 4pm. He is not crying when urinating. He is eating like he usually does, he is a very very picky eater. The only things he will eat are hay, pellets and of course all the things high in calcium. He loves carrots, romaine, parsley,and celery leaves. The only other lettuce I can get him to eat is endive.
My question is do you think he could have a stone due to his diet. I am sure the vet will do xrays, I am just so worried about him. I fell in love with him the moment I saw him, he is my baby.
I also try to give him peppers but he'll take a few tiny bites and then is done. Is he getting enough vitamin C?
I am hoping it is just a UTI. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Will let know how he does at appointment. Thank you :D

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
There are many threads here on how to get pigs to eat different veggies. Do a forum search. He needs to start eating a much greater variety. How much vitamin C he is getting depends on the quality of the vitamin in his pellets and how many veggies you provide. If you're unsure, supplement.

Only the vet can tell you if he has a stone. Good luck at the appointment--I hope he is okay!

piggiecrazy

Cavy Slave
akstrohm, Thank you for your response. I was a bit stressed out over the blood spots all over his cage.
The vet didn't find a stone at all, he gave him baytril for a uti. Hopefully that will clear it up with the first dose.
I have gone over the threads on introducing different veggies. I tried desperately to get him to eat all the things my other 7 eat. I tried for the past year to no avail.
He will not eat anything but his pellets(oxbow) and hay when I give him different veggies. They will just sit there all day until I throw them out.
I have my other 7 on a restricted calcium diet that I got off of one of the threads. My Punkin is a sludge pig and I find it easier to give them all the same thing. That is why I tried so desperately to get Rusty to eat the same things. Not a chance.
Rusty loves fruits also, but of course that's a no no too. I do try to put the vegs the others are getting into his cage, but they don't get touched.
Well thanks for your thoughts and response.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.