Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Taking Piggies Along?

ktucker621

Cavy Slave
I was approved for my adoption! I have an appointment coming up on June 18th. I was planning on getting 2 more girls to go with Lyla and Mousie (of course I will be expanding the cage). The rescue wants me to bring Lyla and Mousie along with me, she said that they should pick out their new friends. I was just wondering if it is safe. I know new pigs are supposed to be quarantined. I just don't want to take any chances on my piggies getting sick.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't take the chance. You could potentially expose yours to a bunch of illnesses that the pigs havn't shown symptoms of yet.

Good luck on your adoption- its great that you were approved! ;)

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
It is pretty common [more so among rabbit rescues] for the rescue to want you to take your pigs along and see if they get along. Since they are all girls and I'm assuming you'll be taking the necessary precautions when bonding them, you can just explain to the rescue that you would prefer not to risk getting your pigs sick, and how you will go about bonding them, etc.

CavyCrazyLady

Cavy Slave
You can always ask for the records from their last vet visit. If it wasn't too long ago you can make the decision to take your girls or not.
It is pretty common for a rescue to want to make sure they get along. Rescues want to make sure the pigs will be happy in their new home and have little chance of needing to be rehomed again.

ktucker621

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your help everybody. I understand why they want me to bring my girls, I just wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. It would definitely be a lot easier to make sure they could all get along before I adopted anymore. I just wasn't sure how common it was for people to take the piggies with them. I think I will just contact the rescue again explain my concern and see where it goes from there.