Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Taking Guinea Pigs Places?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello again,

So I have Agoraphobia among other things (For those of you who don't know what it is, you can look it up on Google) And my therapist has asked that I begin taking one of the pigs, or bunny to each session with me, however, would this stress them out too much?

She thinks it would help lower my stress and such while there and help me focus, however of course if it's not a good idea because it will freak them out than I won't do it. I was also thinking of just taking Fus since she is the most chill of the group, and doesn't seem to be afraid of much, so would this be ok, or is it a bad idea because it will freak them out?

Thanks,
The human, Fus, Ro Dah, Godric, and Nova

I think it's a good idea. Do you have a good carrier to transport whichever one you decide to bring along? Line the carrier and add some soft hay for her to burrow in. Bring along a bag with veggies to feed her while you're there. It's not really much different than taking her for a vet visit except she won't be handled by the vet which will make it less stressful for her.

it probably depends on the pigs personality. If you have a pig that is not particularly bonded to the others and doesn't get upset being separated, and if you have some way of transporting the pig safely with food and water etc, and you're not out too long, which I'm assuming you wouldn't be then it might work. I have taken one of my pigs out quite happily before in a small pet shop cage with water bottle and some fresh grass and some blankets to hide in and she was quite happy. I guess all you can do is give it a try. If your worried you could put the pig in what ever set up you are planning to use and just see how she copes in it at home for a while without actually going anywhere for a start. Good luck, let us all know how it works out for you.

I bring my peruvian boy with me occasionally- just to various stores and such- when I'm out and about. He has gotten a lot better about being transported after I started doing it. I think there's a learning curve- but once you get past the initial first few frightening experiences (and give them lots of veggies!), they get used to it and learn to like it :). I've brought him to Target before out of necessity. Most of the employees just wanted to pet him.

I usually drive with him on my lap though- so he doesn't end up sitting alone in a cage that he isn't used to. The way I see it- he's accustomed to my lap. Not a dog crate.

Go for it :)

You shouldn't need to bring a water bottle. Just wet the veggies before you put them in a baggie and they'll supply enough moisture if she's thirsty. If you were going to be gone all day, she might need water, but if it's only an appointment, I think she'd be fine. How long do you estimate you'd be away from home?

You shouldn't need to bring a water bottle. Just wet the veggies before you put them in a baggie and they'll supply enough moisture if she's thirsty. If you were going to be gone all day, she might need water, but if it's only an appointment, I think she'd be fine. How long do you estimate you'd be away from home?

Carrots and celery are both excellent or providing moisture on a trip away from home without a water bottle (though I know you need to be careful with celery and guinea pigs). This is what we give the mice at shows.

I have one of those store bought guinea pig cages that I use when I have to take them to the vet, however it's pretty big and hard to carry, so I'll have to buy a carrier this week if I decide to try it out, or jut hold her in a blanket. I'll make sure to bring her a bunch of veggies if I try it, as she seems to be fine with anything as long as I'm shoveling food into her mouth. xD I thought about bringing one of the other pigs, but Ro Dah hates being away from the group, Godric is quite skittish, and since Nova has already found a home, I don't want to bond with him anymore than I already have. :(

@doganddisc I didn't even know you could bring a guinea pig into stores. :eek:hmy:

I bring my peruvian boy with me occasionally- just to various stores and such- when I'm out and about. He has gotten a lot better about being transported after I started doing it. I think there's a learning curve- but once you get past the initial first few frightening experiences (and give them lots of veggies!), they get used to it and learn to like it :). I've brought him to Target before out of necessity. Most of the employees just wanted to pet him.

I usually drive with him on my lap though- so he doesn't end up sitting alone in a cage that he isn't used to. The way I see it- he's accustomed to my lap. Not a dog crate.

Go for it :)

You drive with him loose on your lap? What would you do if he jumped down near your accelerator or brake pedal? A few years back, I did a transport of 14 guinea pigs from my local animal control to meet the woman who runs our rescue. When I met up with her, I realized we were short one guinea pig. Someone at the shelter had boxed the guinea pigs and we realized one must have gotten loose in my car. We started looking around and saw it run up behind the dashboard and into the engine. Needless to say, we almost lost it. The engine was still hot so I figured it was a goner. Luckily, it ran back down and we caught it. After experiencing that, I'd never intentionally have a loose guinea pig in a car.

Oh also forgot to add that I think I'll be out for about an two hours give or take some.

You drive with him loose on your lap? What would you do if he jumped down near your accelerator or brake pedal?

He won't, and the distance I end up driving to bring him out is less than two miles.

Seriously. He doesn't move (he doesn't even more around during floor time). I'm not recommending that everyone do this (especially not for a longer trip- if you get into an accident, bad things could happen to the pig), but for my particular situation it is much more ideal for him to ride on my lap than riding in a crate. I do bring a crate with me just in case.

@PigPandemonium
I don't think you're supposed to in most stores. It was out of necessity the time I had him in Target. I live near a very animal friendly group of stores though, and pets are always allowed in there. Plus there's Petco- though I'm really careful if I bring him in there since I don't want him getting sick. Definitely don't put your piggie down anywhere if you bring them out with you.

I've brought him to Target before out of necessity. Most of the employees just wanted to pet him.

At my Target they'd totally kick me out if they saw a pig!

At my Target they'd totally kick me out if they saw a pig!

I was completely expecting to be kicked out. It was a really hot day though and I already had him with me. I needed to go to Target to get something medical related for one of my dogs (I can't actually remember what I was looking for but I know it was something I really needed at the time). Nobody said anything!

He won't, and the distance I end up driving to bring him out is less than two miles.

Seriously. He doesn't move (he doesn't even more around during floor time). I'm not recommending that everyone do this (especially not for a longer trip- if you get into an accident, bad things could happen to the pig), but for my particular situation it is much more ideal for him to ride on my lap than riding in a crate. I do bring a crate with me just in case.

@PigPandemonium
I don't think you're supposed to in most stores. It was out of necessity the time I had him in Target. I live near a very animal friendly group of stores though, and pets are always allowed in there. Plus there's Petco- though I'm really careful if I bring him in there since I don't want him getting sick. Definitely don't put your piggie down anywhere if you bring them out with you.

I doubt that he'd mind being in the carrier for a short trip. You never know if something might spook him and he could cause an accident or worse. If you were involved in an accident, he'd likely be a projectile and probably wouldn't stand a chance. I secure my carrier with a seat belt and shoulder harness every time I take them out as a precaution.

I doubt that he'd mind being in the carrier for a short trip. You never know if something might spook him and he could cause an accident or worse. If you were involved in an accident, he'd likely be a projectile and probably wouldn't stand a chance. I secure my carrier with a seat belt and shoulder harness every time I take them out as a precaution.

Noted. I think I'll be fine though. Thanks :)

I think it's a good idea. I have a carrier for small animals that has a plastic square-basin-type thing and white wire with a cute little door. Dog carriers would be GREAT. You could probably get one of those hamster cages as a carrier which would give him a little bit of space. You should put a layer of towel with fleece securely attached over it with a small bag of hay you can bring if he needs it and you can just attach a small water bottle to the carrier. :)

I think your piggy will be fine with the trip - you are going into what is supposed to be a calming setting as well, so there shouldn't be much to stress Fus out (Love, love, love the names, by the way!).

I found both of my pet carriers (with tags still attached!) at a local trade center/indoor flea market for $8. I would check if you have any in the area, and you might luck out like me! I bought mine for our move up north to Michigan, and my boys did great. I just gave them wet veggies/food, a place to hide and stay warm, a light cover to muffle noise and light, and water at every stop. They were popcorning in no time once I set up their C&C here.

I had something like this for my rabbit when I use to travel around town with him. It's small so it wouldn't be good for a long trip but a short drive it's fine. I like it because it was easy to cary. It wasn't big and bulky like some carriers can be, even the small cat ones I have trouble lugging around. Plus it has a shoulder strap which made carring it all that much more easy! I had a small plastic bin I put in it as a bottom to put shavings in and to keep my bunny clean if he had to go potty but you could make an insert out of coroplast if you wanted and do the same thing.

(broken link removed)

I've taken my younger two to the pet store and into the walgreens i work at before. Odair wasnt totlly impressed but he was comfortable enough to fall asleep. Porcupine pancakes out when I pulled him out to show the people how big they'd gotten. Then I held him for like an hour and he just fell asleep! xD I do want to take Bear out but he has been through a lot so I know I have to go slow with him, but I totally think some piggies just like attention! And adventure!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.