Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Takes 3 days to eat her pellets

kirsty91

Cavy Slave
I'm more curious than concerned but my guinea pig takes about 3 days to eat her 1/8 cup of pellets. I was just curious how normal it is since it sounds like most of them usually eat them fairly quickly. She acts completely healthy, eats her hay all day and is always excited about veggies. Currently she is on oxbow and she was on a crappy one before but I couldn't afford to just throw a bag of food out, but she did the same with that one. I figured she didn't like the old bag but she does the same with the pellets. I'll see her eating them pretty often but it takes awhile for them to disappear. Her teeth look fine to me no uneven edges and they don't look long, plus she chews on her chew stick.

Mine sometimes gobble theirs down, and sometimes they'll sit around for a while. As long as she's eating some pellets and has a varied veggie diet, she'll likely be ok.

Mine does that too. Im currently using up the bag of Kaytee crap she came with, and it takes her days to eat that 1/8 cup, but I ordered some KM pellets, and Im very curious to see if she eats more of those!

My pigs sound like the opposite to yours. I refill the bowl everyday sometimes even twice a day maybe i am feeding mine to much,however the bowl is quite big and i do have 5 pigs that like to eat from the same bowl.

Guineapigs2468, they need no more than 1/8 cup per pig per day. If you feed them too many pellets, they may not eat enough hay, which can lead to dental problems.

oh ok, there is 5 of them though and they plow through their hay and veggies but i will start mointoring their eating more to make sure they are getting the right amounts of what they need. thanks for letting me no.

I was wondering that, too. Twix takes forever to eat pellets. I'm glad to see that it's fine.

Maybe they don't like the brand you are feeding? When Oxbow changed their recipe my pigs refused to eat any pellets for days. Just spit it right out, haha. So you can try changing food brands if you are concerned. If you are feeding enough veggies and hay the pellets don't matter as much, just fillers to get through the day.

Just don't give them more than 1 1/8 cup per day, and they'll be fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.