Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Taffi and Cookie's Med Thread

TinyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Taffi- Roughly 2 year old white snd brown boar. Has never had a health issue.

Cookie- Roughly 2 year old tri-colored boar. Has only one eye due to an eye infection that required surgery.

Last edited:
Hi
Recently, whenever I look at my piggies, I notice that they are scratching every minute or so. I'm sorry If this has been asked before, but I'm kind of worried. And yet, my piggies have always scratched a little bit, but not every minute or so. They are still eating and drinking normally and there is no obvious sign of hair loss. Nothing is really wrong except for scratching a bit more than usual. I'm really worried, and would really appreciate some answers.
Thank you in advance!

If they're itching that badly, you may have a vet check them for mites or fungus. The tests don't always come back positive for mites, but it's easily treated with Revolution. Same with fungus - if there is something developing, it may or may not show up with a Woods lamp. One of my boys has some unknown skin condition right now (hair loss and some minor itching) and vet isn't sure what, but treating with Revolution and a daily mousse is helping.

Hi
Where can I buy Revolution? Also, should I take them to the vet and treat with Revolution or should I just home treat them and take them to the vet if it gets worse (ie: hair loss, loss of appetite)
( also, @4boipigs, i hope your boy gets better and you figure out whats wrong!)

Hi
Where can I buy Revolution? Also, should I take them to the vet and treat with Revolution or should I just home treat them and take them to the vet if it gets worse (ie: hair loss, loss of appetite)
Revolution is a prescription flea medication for cats/dogs. There's just one problem - pretty much everywhere is out of stock! (I work at vet which has some in stock, so I'm lucky.) There's some sort of supply issue that's been happening since April. If your vet has it, they can prescribe and apply it at the visit. You can split a single dose of Revolution between 2 pigs. I don't know the exact dosing, but I imagine it's floating around online somewhere.

We use the cat version; I don't know if there is a difference between cat/dog. I know there's other meds you could use to treat for mites, but Revolution is all I have experience w/.

As for when to see a vet or to treat at home, I just always go to the vet. I don't like home treatments personally because I don't want to make things worse or have it not work at all. If they're just itchy and not losing hair, you may just choose to monitor at home. You may want to give them a good look-over and make sure there's no hidden bald spots or scabby/bloody areas under the fur.

You can treat yourself with ivermectin. A vet visit isn't necessary unless things don't improve, and it's way cheaper to do it yourself. And it's perfectly safe and effective if you follow the directions.

You want either .5% or 1% ivermectin, oral or topical or injectable -- doesn't matter which. You'd use it topically (putting it on the skin), but any of those will work. You can get it from Valley Vet or Amazon or other vet supply places.

Do NOT get the horse/cow paste or liquid. One small bottle or tube of that will treat a 1000 pound horse or cow, and it's extremely difficult to get it diluted enough to be safe for a guinea pig.

Use the charts at the links below to determine how much you need (it will be a small fraction of one cc (one ml). Put it on the bald spot behind the ears, and rub it in well. Repeat the treatment once a week for at least three weeks to hit all the life cycle of the mites. Otherwise, they'll just keep coming back.

Here are the charts based on the strength of the ivermectin and the weight of your pigs:

https://guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html for the 1% solution (usually the injectable kind)
https://guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html for the .5% pour-on stuff

You can treat yourself with ivermectin. A vet visit isn't necessary unless things don't improve, and it's way cheaper to do it yourself. And it's perfectly safe and effective if you follow the directions.

You want either .5% or 1% ivermectin, oral or topical or injectable -- doesn't matter which. You'd use it topically (putting it on the skin), but any of those will work. You can get it from Valley Vet or Amazon or other vet supply places.

Do NOT get the horse/cow paste or liquid. One small bottle or tube of that will treat a 1000 pound horse or cow, and it's extremely difficult to get it diluted enough to be safe for a guinea pig.

Use the charts at the links below to determine how much you need (it will be a small fraction of one cc (one ml). Put it on the bald spot behind the ears, and rub it in well. Repeat the treatment once a week for at least three weeks to hit all the life cycle of the mites. Otherwise, they'll just keep coming back.

Here are the charts based on the strength of the ivermectin and the weight of your pigs:

https://guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html for the 1% solution (usually the injectable kind)
https://guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin_pour-on.html for the .5% pour-on stuff
Thank you!
But I'm going out of the country in a couple of days and leaving the care of the piggies with my dad which worries me a little bit since I can't be around to moderate their illness and I'm afraid that my dad will mess up the dosage or something like that. I'm kind of conflicted on what to do, also afraid that my dad is going to be all " they don't need it, they seem fine to me", which, I disagree with.

( Also, kind of off topic, but I'm trying to write up a care guide for my dad and having some trouble writing the signs of health issues, this is the first time I'm going to the away from the piggies for more than a week, so I'm kind of nervous.)

Last edited:
Hi
I was cleaning the guinea pig cage when i noticed a weird red wound thing on Cookie's neck. He doesnt seem bothered by it, hes acting like his good old self, eating and bothering Taffi. But still concerning. Any ideas on what i could do? Is it dangerous? Should i take my baby to the vet?
Thank you in advance.
( also, sorry for the terrible photo, i am currently using an ancient ipad so...bear with me until i get better pictures with my phone.)
Taffi and Cookie's Med Thread

I can't tell anything from the picture. When you do take another, turn him so the light is shining on the area, and get a good, clear, close-up of the area.

If it's a wound, he either got it from something in the cage or from another pig. When you say he's bothering Taffi, does Taffi fight back? Could it be a scratch from teeth or claws? Bites tend to be puncture wounds that are hard to see.

Hi
Cookie and Taffi get along okay, when I see them not getting along, cookie or taffi just bump into the other and the bumped one just sort of leaps into the air with a squeak before going back to normal.
( the photo isn’t loading so I can’t upload that yet

Is he scratching it?

No. He doesn’t seem too bothered by it and I’m starting to think it might be a bald spot….

Well, bald spots are caused by something. And you don't want it to spread if you can keep from it.

I'd start out by treating it with an antifungal preparation like Lamisil or Lotrimin, applied with a q-tip twice daily and rubbed in well. If it's not better after 10 days or so, or if it gets worse in the meantime, switch to a triple anitibiotic ointment like Neosporin, applied the same way.

If the hair starts growing back, keep treating it until the spot has completely filled in. Hair loss can take a long time to treat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.