Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

syrian hamster with hair loss

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I have a male syrian hamster. I believe he is about five months old. When I fed him tonight I noticed two bald patches behind his haunches, on his sides. Im quite concerned. Does anyone know what could be causing this?!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I don't know what the problem is sorry, but you could try posting on Hamster Hideout?

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
Your hamster may have mites, or wet tail. He may also have an allergy to the type of bedding that you are using.

Lovely_Weekers

Cavy Slave
Is he stressed? has he had any major changes, I know that they can stress pick sometimes.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Ive used the same bedding since I adopted him. Im guessing not stress. He lives a life pf leasure lol. Could it be from rubbing on the sides of his hidey?

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Ive given him a full cage cleanout and he had some egg today. The spots dont seem to be changung.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Do not use cedar or pine shavings..they are not good for the hamster breathing and also could cause skin problems from the oils in the shavings..The best is Carefresh ..this is what we use for ours.

Lovely_Weekers

Cavy Slave
They usually don't rub themselves intentionally. I agree with RodentsRus, but I would also add clean and cozy as an option. You may want to consider taking your little guy to a vet to be looked at if he still isn't better.

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
I agree a vet visit is in need and also for the bedding as I was mentioning I found that the best is carefresh is my personal favorite and have been using it for years..also forgot to mention never give your pet hammie the fluffy material that they pet shops say that hamster love to make a nest with..It can get ingested and cause ALOT of problems ..the safest nesting material is plain ripped up toilet paper :)

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
Those might be scent glands. Are there one small patch on each hip (2 in total)? You can look on Google for images. If it's scent glands, there is no need to go to the vet.

RodentsRus

Cavy Slave
Scent glands are normally darker skin than the rest of the hamster skin color also if there is fur loss it could be mites I have had it with mine and it was treated successfully better safe than sorry.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
He is and has been on Carefresh and Aspen. The skin under it is darker than the rest of him. Looks like moles almost where thr hair loss is. It hasnt changed or gotten worse so my vet said he wouldnt worry about it.