Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Genitals Swollen/hard testicle?

Krymle

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Udyr, neutered, has had a hard testicle for some time now. After he got neutered his balls just disappeared, but now one of them is hard and swollen. It doesnt seem to bother him at all. He is a very happy pig. Eats, drinks, pees and poops normally with no problems. Doesnt seem to be in pain when i try and touch it.

When i went to visit my father(he has 2 guinea pigs), some time before i noticed it on udyr, i noticed that Speedy, not neutered, had the same thing. I told him, and he said he hadnt noticed. Which made me think, maybe that it was a normal thing.. somehow. Or that it at least wasnt rare.

Any ideas what it might be?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's likely an post-neuter abscess, and needs to be seen by a vet. It may need to be lanced and drained, and is undoubtedly painful.

lissie

Cavy Slave
He should see a vet. If he is neutered and the testicle is swollen, it could be an abscess.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I agree. It's most likely a post neuter abscess. The sooner it's taken care of the better. It will just keep getting bigger and perhaps burst.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, some abscesses can develop even up to a year.

He needs to see a vet. The vet will most likely use a needle to draw out the contents to ascertain what it is, then diagnose and prescribe accordingly.

Krymle

Cavy Slave
Alright then. Thank you for all the replies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.