Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Switching to adult pellets early

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Our boys are approximately 4 1/2 months old now and are doing great! ( touch wood ). They have been on Oxbow young cavy pellets all along but now only have about 2 weeks supply left. I don't want to have to buy another bag of Oxbow that won't even be half way used when they hit the 6 month mark. My plan is to switch them to KMS pellets when they're of age, would it be ok to switch them early when my current supply of Oxbow runs out?

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
that's fine, just supplement the calcium by giving them a couple sprigs of parsley until they reach 6mo

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto [MENTION=36294]peachyteen[/MENTION]. Just add a sprig or so of parsley every day.

prila13

Cavy Slave
I bought another bag of young pig food and slowly introduced the adult food along with it. With my first 2 piggies, I noticed that they had a bit of trouble switching cold turkey. Adult pigs can have alfalfa based food, just not all the time. You can go to adult food now, but make sure you have veggies that supplement what they would be getting from the young pig food.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys so much for your responses. I can go ahead and order the KMS pellets now with an easy mind :D