Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Switching pellets

Leah00

Cavy Slave
As you know, I picked up my piggy girls kind of last minute a week ago. I just had time to run to the store and buy a little bag of hay and pellets. Both are just the normal poor quality stuff.
I ordered from KMS as soon as I found out I was going to be picking them up and the stuff arrived yesterday.

I'm so excited to give it to them! :)
Do I need to mix the pellets for awhile before I make the switch? They'd be going from poor quality alfalfa based pellets to the KMS timothy pellets. The hay I figured I could just switch now since it's the same hay just different freshness.

Any idea what I could do with the old stuff? We've only had them a week so the bags are still full. Would it be good in the garden or something?

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
I would slowly transfer them on to the new stuff.
Maybe so slowly it uses up the old bad stuff.
At the moment I am switching my girls off of their mixed grain food to burgess excel pellets and I am going 10 pellets at a time, because I am worried of tummy upset.
Dont switch to fast leave 10 to 20 days and maybe pre divide food as you have enough for the course of the switch.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I suggest mixing the old and the new and then changing the ratio, so 3/4 old and 1/4 new, then after a few days 1/2 of each, then 1/4 old and 3/4 new until you get to using 100% new.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Switching pellets doesn't usually cause any stomach upset. You can just switch cold turkey.

I wouldn't try to use up the old stuff. You're switching because it's no good. Pitch it out the door to the birds.