Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips Switching from aspen shavings to wood pellets

icgmommy87

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm very interested in switching to wood pellets but I have no idea where to get a large bag for a good price nor do I know what brands are best. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks in advance!

if you have any livestock supply stores thats where they would be. i know the big bags for horse stall bedding are a good price but if you cant find them you can always get the cat litter in the 40lb bag thats going to run you about 15 dollars (at least here thats the price) but they last about 8 weeks (ive seen someone on here go almost 11 weeks without it getting smelly but thats for large cages not sure of the exact size)
from what i can tell the only 2 things you will need to worry about is that the smell of the wood pellets arent too strong and that you mix the pellets between fleece changes

Thanks for the quick response!

I don't use wood in my cages, but please remember to avoid pine and cedar when selecting your wood pellets! Good luck.

I found 40 pound bags at Menards, a home improvement store similar to Home Depot. They were $5 a bag and I use about 1.5 bags in my 2x6 . They were in the section by fireplace stuff.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.