Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Switched to fleece, and now they smell!

charliespet

Cavy Slave
I just switched back to fleece, and sewed fleece to a thick towel, and then pinned a shower curtain uderneath. I clean up the poos when I walk by the cage, but now when I hold my little ones, they smell like poo! It's discusting and I'm afraid it will cause them to get sick having poo residue on their fur...any suggestions or similar experiences? They aren't long haired either...

How large is your cage? Fleece works much better in large cages than in smaller ones, and doesn't smell nearly as quickly.

How large is your cage? Fleece works much better in large cages than in smaller ones, and doesn't smell nearly as quickly.
Both cages are 3 grids long and 2 grids wide...I have 2 males in one cage, and 2 females in the other.

I have this same issue. I change out the fleece and towels twice a week and vaccum once a day at the least and my logn haired girl especially smells like urine.

I'd probably better let someone else answer this. I quit using fleece in part because of the odor, and in part because of the hair and hay that got caught in my hard-to-clean washing machine filter.

a 3x2 for two pigs, especially boars, is WAY to small, which is probably why they smell. I have two pigs in a 2x7 with 2x2 loft and it doesn't stink. I can change the cage every nine days and be fine.

I love using my fleece though. Shavings make a much bigger mess and this is better for the pigs. Have you washed it 3 or 4 times?? They might stink if they're standing in urine or something like that, which should be wicked away.

I sewed a whole bunch of what I call pee pads that I put in the cages where Poppy sleeps, no odor!

a 3x2 for two pigs, especially boars, is WAY to small, which is probably why they smell. I have two pigs in a 2x7 with 2x2 loft and it doesn't stink. I can change the cage every nine days and be fine.
Actually, it is one grid short of being too small, which is the recommended size for 2 pigs, boars or not. They are babies, so not yet at the point where I need to re arrange the size. Last night my husband and I cleaned the whole cage, and washed everything. This morning I picked up poos. It isn't wet, due to the towels sewn under the fleece. It smells. They smell...I think this is the last time I will ever use fleece! I am moving, and when we get to the new house, I'll be building and alternative cage that is appropriate to their future adult size, and I'll be going back to wood pellets and/or carefresh!

I use half fleece on the bottom and on their platform I use bedding. They know to use the bathroom in the bedding and not on the fleece. With a little training yours can too... though it takes alot of patience :)

If you're cleaning everything in the cage all at once, the smell is probably the males re-marking their territory because your washing it all away when you clean and they can be pretty darn smelly when they do that.

Last edited:
i have a 3x5 with 3 boys and a 2x4 with a (spayed) female and 1 male. when i launder the fleece, and all accessories (towels, etc) is use one cup vinegar and 1/2 c borax. i try to hang stuff outside to dry. i use extra squares of uhaul pads in corners where they pee and poo most, and change those every other day. i spot clean twice a day and total change and clean 1x week. the only time there's ANY smell is maybe the day before cleaning day. i think towels hold smell heavier than uhaul pads. i have a uhaul pad sewn into the fleece, and then 2 layers of towels between the fleece liner and the coro. i don't know if this helps you or not. maybe you've already decided to stop sing fleece. it works for some, not for others. but, for whatever reason, this is what seems to work for me and my herd. good luck!

If you're cleaning everything in the cage all at once, the smell is probably the males re-marking their territory because your washing it all away when you clean and they can be pretty darn smelly when they do that.
The females actually smell worse than the males...

i have a 3x5 with 3 boys and a 2x4 with a (spayed) female and 1 male. when i launder the fleece, and all accessories (towels, etc) is use one cup vinegar and 1/2 c borax. i try to hang stuff outside to dry. i use extra squares of uhaul pads in corners where they pee and poo most, and change those every other day. i spot clean twice a day and total change and clean 1x week. the only time there's ANY smell is maybe the day before cleaning day. i think towels hold smell heavier than uhaul pads. i have a uhaul pad sewn into the fleece, and then 2 layers of towels between the fleece liner and the coro. i don't know if this helps you or not. maybe you've already decided to stop sing fleece. it works for some, not for others. but, for whatever reason, this is what seems to work for me and my herd. good luck!
yeah its not my detergent...its just them peeing and pooping on a soft surface. I much prefer wood pellets or care fresh...

Do be aware that smelly urine can be the sign of a urinary tract infection. You might try putting them, individually, in a laundry basket with a white towel in the bottom and make sure neither of them is showing signs of a UTI.

I have this same problem with fleece and my boars- also in a 3 x 2. I have had much better luck with pelleted bedding (paper) mixed with wood shavings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.