Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool Swimming. Yes or no?

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
I've read that it isn't good to bath guinea pigs too often because it may dry their skin. But does swimming in shallow water (I guess it can't really be called swimming if it's shallow, but I'd rather not have them risk drowning) during the hotter days count?

Is there a limit to how many consecutive days I could have them cool off via swimming?

I'd like to buy some granite stones, but none of the local pet stores have any. Neither does Canadian Tire or Staples.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
You can purchase a few ceramic tiles.
Boredom Breaker makes a cooling tile specifically for small animals, though I don't see the point.

I wouldn't force them to actually swim as it can be extremely stressful, only water up to their feet/legs if they respond well to it. Make sure to dry them off completely after.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't let my guinea pigs swim, as all guinea pigs have delicate backs. I think that you don't know how your guinea pig will react to the water and he/she could stress, and even injure themselves in the process.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Try a stone yard or a granite fabricator for stone/granite samples.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine like the water. And while bathing them too often isn't good, I can't see why plain water would hurt them as long as you don't leave them in too long. There are so many places having unusual heat this summer, especially in places that don't have air conditioning, that it may take something like that to keep them cool.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
You can make little icee treats! I run bell pepper, cilantro, and whatever other soft veggies in the food processor and freeze them. After they're frozen, I let them thaw out until they're shaved ice consistency. Some people give solid ice cubes. I'm too afraid they'd chip their teeth on that.

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
When I said "swimming", I didn't actually mean swimming. The water level isn't going to go above their legs. As I've said, I don't want to risk them drowning. Also, I don't plan to leave them in there for long, only about five minutes or so, in the morning or early afternoon, so they have plenty of time to air dry after I towel dry them as best as I could. In this heat, I'm not that scared they'd catch a cold or something.

Of course, I haven't tried it yet since I want to get other people's opinion on this matter first.

Since I don't have air con, the heat wave can be a problem for both me and my pets. The fan I have isn't really that good. It only has one setting for a fan, mainly because it's supposed to be a fan heater. it just has an extra function as a normal fan.

I don't have a food processor either, so I just give them ice cubes during the hotter days. They seem to like it. My girls definitely like chilled veggies, even more than usual, during those days.

sakee

Cavy Slave
I ordered a marble tile sample from ebay, in the US it was $3 shipped. Maybe you can find a Canadian seller who offers the same

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
2 Super Pet Chin-Chiller costs $32.14 including tax and shipping. That's a lot.

I've posted two ads on kijiji asking for spare granite, marble, and tiles though. I'm hoping to get a reply soon.

couchon

Cavy Slave
That does sound like a lot - shipping here is $5.99 for both, but I guess it's a lot higher for you.

Maybe you could order some other supplies to qualify for free shipping (but again, I don't know if that would apply to international shipping). Also, maybe check for them on a Canadian site, where shipping would be less expensive (the Chin-Chillers themselves are only $5.99).

Ithilgil

Cavy Slave
Ordering other supplies for free shipping works, but there are limited items on that website that could be shipped to Canada. And I don't need most of those items.

I'll search elsewhere for the it.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I haven't tried it myself, but I've read and heard that guinea pigs are good natural swimmers. I've seen a video of a piggy swimming in a small pool, and although the video got disliked to hell and back and the comments were full of implications of animal abuse, frankly, I really don't think it's bad. The pig definitely had a natural talent. I forget who said it, but someone on this forum mentioned that guinea pigs are related to capybaras, which practically live in water.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I haven't tried it myself, but I've read and heard that guinea pigs are good natural swimmers. I've seen a video of a piggy swimming in a small pool, and although the video got disliked to hell and back and the comments were full of implications of animal abuse, frankly, I really don't think it's bad. The pig definitely had a natural talent. I forget who said it, but someone on this forum mentioned that guinea pigs are related to capybaras, which practically live in water.

House cats can swim too, but it doesn't mean they enjoy it. It's a survival thing. With the exception of cats who really do like water (bengals and whatnot).

Though the OP was referring to paw-deep water, not enough to actually swim in for the piggie.

Field-of-Dreams

Cavy Slave
What I did was freeze a few water bottles. Roll them up under a towel and placed in the cage. Ivy laid up against them all the time! When she cooled off she moved, when she was hot she went back. All on her own terms.

If you make bottles up, do about three: one in the cage, one frozen solid and one just returned to the freezer from her cage.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
What I did was freeze a few water bottles. Roll them up under a towel and placed in the cage. Ivy laid up against them all the time! When she cooled off she moved, when she was hot she went back. All on her own terms.

If you make bottles up, do about three: one in the cage, one frozen solid and one just returned to the freezer from her cage.

I've tried this, and my pigs seem to think that the towel is made of carrots. :) It's very cute, but I can't put in towels with water bottles. I hope the OP doesn't have this problem with her piggies, since it's pain in the neck if I need to cool them down if the AC is ever broken...

Just thought I should warn you that some piggies like to eat/chew the towel...

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave

You can't compare our domesticated guinea pigs to capybaras, I'm sure you know that. Guinea pigs are in no way made to live in water.
I imagine the body shape, small legs & paws make it difficult for them to swim, and to keep their mouth & nose over the surface. A worst case scenario is water going down to the lungs, leading to pneumonia. If we are thinking about the same video, I consider it bordering on abuse.

A few pigs enjoy swimming, and in those cases they should easily be able to get to shallow water & jump out.

Piggypogs

Cavy Slave
I got ice cube trays at bed bath and beyond the kind that make long and skinny ice strips to use in water bottles i used those in their water to keep it cold and if there is a petsmart near you they are in canada and should cost the same to ship to canada i know here in cancouver there are at least (well in the lower main land) (vancouver area) four+ and i love them petsmart is actually one of the biggest pet stores in canada it seems. Another thing you could do to keep them cool is (depending on where you live/house or apartment) you could put them in the basement i know that when im in the basement i need a sweater so you could put them down there for the hot hours or even put a constant fan by their cage. :)

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
someone posted a suggestion here that i have used and loved!! i take the ice paks and put them inside a sock. i use the rectangular shaped hard plastic ones that you use for lunch boxes. i keep them in the sock then bring them in and out of the freezer every day, changing the sock when they get icky. when i get home i see my boys lying with their heads up against the ice-sock blocks, chillin and hanging out! they don't seem to chew the socks.

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
I don't have AC either and while our outside temps were hitting 107 the inside was still 87-90. We rotated 3-4 water bottles from the freezer. I tried wrapping them in a towel but the girls prefered just the plain bottles to lie between. Plus I put a box fan running on hi about 8 feet from the cage. They did well with this set up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.