Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Sweet-natured Guinea Pig Trying to Bite me

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. So just a few minutes ago, I was giving both of my boys laptime. Flyn, my confident piggie, got him a month ago. And Chip, who is more on the shy side, got him yesturday. Both of them were so relaxed in my arms. It was so cute :) I was petting Flyn's back, and I moved my fingers to his side, and I started to pet his side. I wanted to move him closer to me, to give him a kiss on the head, so I was just about to put my fingers under him, and he tried to bite me :( Luckily, I moved me hand quickly. But this is so unlike him. He is such a nice guinea pig. He always licks my fingers, and confidently jumps into my lap when im sitting in their play pen. If I ever touched him some where he is not comfortable with, he lets me know by giving out a little squeak of protest and a few kicks. But he never bites me. I stopped touching him for a few minutes, and then i slowly started to stroke him again. This time, I moved my hand to scratch my face, and Chip put his head under Flyn, probably because I startled him. Flyn's paw was on Chip's eye, so I tried to gently lift Flyn's paw off, and he tried to bite me again! I put my hand between him and Chip, trying to move Chip away from him, and again, Flyn tried to bite me. I moved me hand to Chip's other side to pick him up, and as I was pulling Chip closer to me, Flyn tried to nip/bite Chip's foot D: I then decided that maybe it was best to put Flyn back in the cage. I don't understand, why would Flyn do that? I don't understand what made him so upset.. Has this ever happened to any of you? Could

It sounds like he may be in pain. Guinea pigs are not usually aggressive, so he may have been reacting in pain to your touch. Did he only do that when you touched his side/stomach? Try to pick him up again and touch him different places and see if he does it again. If he does, it's important that you figure out if it's because he's hurt. Guinea pigs are usually pretty good at hiding when they are hurt or sick, so sometimes it's too late by the time you realize it.

One of my pigs, Magneto, is very ticklish. If I stroke his belly he twitches and squeaks loudly. Occasionally he will nibble on my fingers as a way to get me to stop. Sometimes he'll just lick my fingers to get me to stop. Or he'll try to burrow more into me in an attempt to hide his belly.

My other pig, Xavier, tends to nibble at my hand for no reason. I'd have him on my lap with my hand near him, and he'll look at it momentarily before nibbling. He will rarely bite hard to the point of breaking skin. I haven't figured out why he does that. My hand definitely doesn't smell like food or anything. I also once had a pig that did the same thing. He'd just nibble or bite at my fingers for no discernible reason. When I gave him up for adoption, the new owners reported the same thing.

I think absent of any other odd behavior, this is probably just a strange personality quirk. Maybe since you only got Chip yesterday, maybe it's just new adaptive behavior on Flyn's part that might be temporary. Since I've adopted Xavier two months ago, I've definitely noticed behavioral changes to Magneto even though they live as neighbors; he's a lot more vocal now and seems to put up less with my shenanigans.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.