Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Surprise... two little piggies

Amy1m1w1

Cavy Slave
Oh my! I have had an interesting day. I graduated from college two weeks ago and since then I have gone on vacation, got engaged, and bought a house. Yay for me, but I haven't been paying attention to my two piggies that my boyfriend bought for me in February. (We mostly let them keep to themselves and they seem so happy) This morning I scoot up to the cage to goof around with my babies and I notice my Coco bean is huge! Oh crap, I realize that I have put Frankie's neutering off to long, to late. `
So all day long I have been reading up on pregnancy all day and freaking out that my poor Coco is going to have complications. I had moved them to the basement to try to keep her active, was about to post on this site when I went to visit them (I didn't separate them right away cause they are so attached). I was like oh, she doesn't look so big maybe I was just freaking out. So I lift up her little home and try to get her to go inside and almost pee myself when I see two little creatures in the house. So I grab Frankie cause I notice he's hanging around Coco a little to much (pray to God I got him before anything happened) and I have to find something to put him in while we go get another cage.
So now all seems to be well. Looks like a little girl and a little boy from an initial y vs. i look. She is so fidgety I am so proud what a good mom she is being, cleaning and nursing very calmly. Frank freaked out when I put their cage by his so I had to put him across the room and he seems much better (any advice on this).
I'm hoping for a little girl and boy so that we can put each in a cage with their parent and have that be the end of the deal. My boyfriend is hoping for two girls so that we can get Frank neutered and keep the family together (but I heard of complications in that, so I am wary). Advice, scolding, etc.... all welcome

She could very well be pregnant again. They can become pregnant immediately after giving birth. Backbreeding is risky, as is breeding in general. The boy can live with Dad and the baby girl can live with Mom.

You need to separate the male at 3 weeks unless you want more babies (you shouldn't since there are tons in shelters and rescues.)

https://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm
https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

If you look in my gallery I put a picture of my two little accidents. They are jittery little guys. So adorably cute, with additions to the family like these its hard to regret. Although just so everyone knows, I plan on keeping the two and separating (or neutering) the sexes. :) Learned my lesson. So lucky!

Just so you know having multiple neutred boars with females won't work. They are cute lil' things though!!!!

It may on most. My good friend Lisa has 7 boars neutered and living with 5 girls. No problems at all. Just do it at the same time.

I'm sorry, I really don't have any sympathy for someone who knowingly and willingly kept their boar and sow together because they couldn't bare to see them separated because they are attached. You knew that by doing this that your sow could get pregnant. I only hope your sow didn't end up back bred because you didn't separate them.

I feel the same way, but I didn't want to say anything. I think it is highly irresponsible and selfish.

You don't have to regret having them, but just realize that there are tons of just as deserving pigs in shelters or rescues that need homes too, but you decided to buy and breed instead.

Goodbye to this board, and you all can go to you know where. I didn't keep them together on purpose, I honestly didn't know what to do or when to do it. Right after I got them my aunt killed herself and then my grandma fell down two flights of stairs and has had a long and awful recovery time since. Along with graduating, I had a lot to deal with. So yea, my pigs had babies and I'm keeping them and now I know better.
These will be the last guinea pigs I get because of people like you, learn boundaries and when you step over lines. You had no idea and still don't about my situation or what I do with my pets besides one mistake I made. If having them is being associated with people like you, then I don't want to have gp's anymore.

Listen, I am sorry about your siduation, but you need to realize it isn't the smartest thing to do to come to an anti-breeding, pro-rescue forum and tell us you may have 'accidentally' back bred your sow, or even bred her in the first place, when it may have been preventable.

Amy1m1w1 said:
Advice, scolding, etc.... all welcome

Don't post Advice, scolding, etc.... all welcome if you don't want to be scolded or get negativity. You invited it and I tried to say what I said in the nicest way possible, but I still stand behind what I said. I am sorry for the loss of your aunt and sorry that your grandma had an accident, but even my 10 year daughter knows that if you keep a boy and a girl animal together and neither are fixed, then you will end up at some point with babies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.