Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Surprise/accidental pregnancy what to do now

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
hezzie said:
thank you very much! I was also wondering if I could get some opinons on what to do now that I know. I have read 3 different sources who all say different things and want to make sure I do it right. Should I remove my male guniea or would it cause stress to the mother? (I have read that both are opinions given) Also, I don't want to upset Phuc(the male guniea) so I'm not sure if I should seperate them. and there is the fact about making sure the pregnant guinea is nourished well enough and I don't really know what to do about that...thank you all so much for your input. My most important concern is for my guineas...I want them to be happy and healthy. I just am not sure what to do and really would like the advice of people who know. (by the way...this week I am having Phuc (my male guniea pig) nuetered so that he can stay with Chewy and that there will not be another accident. and I have talked to the local rescue. so thank you very much for all the advice so far and any more would be extremly helpful so I can keep my babies happy and safe until Chewy delivers. Thank you again!!!!!!!! Heather
I hope you don’t mind but I copied your reply and posted it here to start a new thread. This is important stuff and I don’t want it to get lost in another thread with a different topic.

If Phuc (if it’s pronounced like I think it is it’s a bold and cool name) if getting neutered this week and Chewy is not due for at least another couple of weeks there should be no reason I can see to separate them. Phuc’s quarantine/make-sure-all-the-sperm-are-dead-after-the-operation period should be over in 2 weeks after the neuter so by the time Chewy delivers he should no longer be able to impregnate her.

If Chewy is going to deliver sooner then 2 weeks then you should separate them...you can keep them near each other in separate cages or by dividing the cage they are already in.

As for food. I think it will be okay if Phuc gets some of Chewy’s preggy food for the short remainder she (and the babies) will need it. I don’t think alfalfa hay/pellets will harm Phuc for the short time Chewy and the babes will need them...I could be wrong. I’ve never had baby piggies born in my care before...more knowledgeable input would be nice.

I recommend loading Chewy (forever to be known as the amazing sex changing Guinea Pig) up with LOTS of alfalfa hay, alfalfa pellets, good (extra clean) fresh veggies...if you don’t already, spend more on the best of the best you can get her...like red bell peppers instead of green. Load her up on Vit C. Change her water daily, even if the bottle is still full. Keep the cage immaculately clean. Give her plenty of hiding spaces to choose from. A stressed out mom can have problems with the birth and aftercare of her babies.

I also recommend getting some Cavy Critical Care (Oxbow) to have on hand so if in case mom doesn’t care for the babies or (heaven forbid) the worst happens and she gets sick herself and needs it. Baby-proof the cage now.

The original thread this post came from can be found here https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5300&page=3&pp=20

hezzie

Cavy Slave
Thanks(and thanks for the compliemnt on Phucs name:) )! I am planning on heading to store right now to get some more veggies. I give her vitamins in her water, but should I up the amount of these? Or just keep that the same and give her the veggies for vitamins? Also, what kind of area would you suggest for her to hide in? When I first got my gunieas the lady told me that areas like that were bad for them because of the amonia, but I have noticed over the past couple of days she's been trying to hide under the hay. I will probably have to make do with whatever I can get at a regular store or make, but I would really like to do something about it sood. As far as the seperation thing, I don't know for sure how far along she is, but yesterday I found some info that told me how to feel around her belly and I think I felt the babies move. I was thinking of putting at clear plastic box between them in the middle of the cage so they could see each other but were not actually together, although I don't know if this might upset Phuc more or less and even though you've never actually had babies born at your place before, a second opinion is always assurance. I just want to be sure I am doing this right. Also, I read that I should feed her bread soaked in milk, so I tried that and she didn't eat any. I don't know if I actually need to feed her that, so if you could let me know if you have heard anything on that particular kind of food, that would be great. thank you again!!!!

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
Hidey houses are good, don't give vitamins in water, they deplete quickly and leave the water tasting nasty discouraging drinking. Milk and bread aren't good for guinea pigs( 9i think thats for hamsters)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Give her alfalfa hay, plain chewable Vitamin C (no sugar or other stuff added), plenty of good safe veggies, (leafy lettuce, cilantro, bell pepper, etc.). No bread, no milk. Pigs are lactose intolerant. Watch for signs of Toxemia (she will smell like nail polish remover). If she develops toxemia, get her to the vet ASAP. I don't really think you need the alfalfa pellets unless your sow is younger than 1 year. The alfalfa hay will be sufficient.

If your getting your boar neutered, it actually takes 3-4 weeks for all the sperm to die off not just 2. He will need to be kept away from her until the 3-4 weeks are over. I recommend 4 weeks to be on the safe side.

Also having critical care on hand would be a good idea, along with some 1cc needleless syringes for handfeeding if necessary.

hezzie

Cavy Slave
Great, thanks a lot! So I should just give her plain vitamin C tablets from the grocery store? And if I'm feeding her carrots, green leaf lettuce and red bell peppers as far as veggies, is that fine? Also, the only could I come up with for a hiddey cage until Wednesday is a cardboard thing I made, but I didn't know if cardboard was ok to put in her cage...so if anyone could let me know. Thanks to everybody for the help, I think the book I had was full of pretty bad info...so thank you!!!!!!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Cardboard is fine to put in the cage.

hezzie

Cavy Slave
Great!!! thank you!!!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Thanx Ly for correcting my mistake on the wait time after neuter.

Like others said no vitamins in the water...chewable Vit C.

Cardboard houses are fine and can be thrown out when soiled. She wll probably chew on them but that's okay.

A plastic divider in the cage should work well. Just be sure it is well secured and high enough to prevent jumping over.

hezzie

Cavy Slave
Great, thanks! I actually ended up moving Phuc into a make-shift cage(a large plastic tub that's pretty tall so I don't need a top and it's see through and right next to chewy's cage) and they're both taking it well. I'm gald I did it because I noticed right when I was getting it ready that it looked like Phuc was in heat and trying to get busy with chewy and upsetting her. Any ideas on what brand of vitamin C would be best?

Himino

Cavy Slave
hezzie said:
Great, thanks! I actually ended up moving Phuc into a make-shift cage(a large plastic tub that's pretty tall so I don't need a top and it's see through and right next to chewy's cage) and they're both taking it well. I'm gald I did it because I noticed right when I was getting it ready that it looked like Phuc was in heat and trying to get busy with chewy and upsetting her. Any ideas on what brand of vitamin C would be best?
If you go to (broken link removed) and look at the products you should see supplement and they have Vit. C tablets that you can order online.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Also go easy on the carrots. A baby carrot 2-3 times a week is ok.

hezzie

Cavy Slave
Is it ok to let them out of their cages together to run around or should I do it seperately? I always keep an eye on them but still, I wasn't sure if it was ok.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I would just go ahead and keep them separated until the 4 weeks after his neuter. It might put more stress on your sow to keep letting her have time with him and vice versa. Pregnant sows need as little stress as possible.

hezzie

Cavy Slave
I was wondering: do guniea pigs eat their babies like other rodents? I have heard both that they do and that they don't and also that I should give the mother a strip of raw bacon when she gives birth. If you could let me know that would be great!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
No meat. They are vegetarians. What you heard is a myth. Sometimes they are overzealous in their cleaning and eat the after birth to hide any traces from predators, but they don't eat their young if they are healthy and you can handle the babies as soon as they are born.

hezzie said:
I was wondering: do guniea pigs eat their babies like other rodents? I have heard both that they do and that they don't and also that I should give the mother a strip of raw bacon when she gives birth. If you could let me know that would be great!

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
I've never heard of them eating their own babies, I actually didn't think that other rodents did it either, I thought that was an old myth. You really don't need the strip of bacon because the mother will eat the placenta and that will give her all the nutrients that she needs,

hezzie

Cavy Slave
great thank you so much! I thought the person didn't really know, but I wanted to make sure.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
Oh, and since she is pregnant, make sure is spoiled and held all the time!!!!

hehehe.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
I thought I read somewhere that pregnant sow's shouldn't be handled too much at all for their comfort unless you really needed to?? (because of their expanding girth?)

hezzie

Cavy Slave
So far, it seems like my guniea doesn't really like to handled too much, but she does like to be pet a lot and have extra food (obviously, lol). I think she is going to have the babies tonight or tomorrow, because her stomach is extra tight and you can see the babies move really well inside. Also, she's gotten bigger in the last 2 days and can barely walk normal. I'm nervous, I hope I've done everything right. I guess I'll let you all know if she has her babies tomorrow....good night!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.