Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Supporting the loft

Golden2404

Cavy Slave
So I have officially decided that I am going to build a 2x4 C&C cage with a 2x2 loft and in order to take up less floor space in the cage I have figured out how to make a ramp that is on the outside of the cage (it will be supported by many zip ties and a wooden dowel underneath it). However I am at a loss at how to support the loft so it's strong. I am also trying to figure out how to cover the remaining half of the cage and the loft as I have two siberian huskies and a cat living with me (they are never in the room alone with my guinea pig but I just want to make sure my girl is safe). I need the top to be easy to open such as a flip fold and a way to secure it so the other animals cant open it and to have it be strong and secure. Also is a standard sheet of coro enough to build all of this? Any and all information is helpful thanks.

mizzpiggie

Cavy Slave
The Cages Store sells "Wonder Bars", which I just recently found myself. ;) I think these are great because they're perfectly sized for 2 grids and they take up so little room.

http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/candc-wonder-bars

You can also use wooden dowels from the hardware store - I found 1"x1" square dowels that fit perfectly through the holes in the grid, though I might end up getting the Wonder Bars in the long run since my boys have already figured out how to reach them to chew on them...

Golden2404

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks I was actually thinking about the wonder bars but wasn't sure if they were a good choice. So thanks also a few more questions.

What is the simplest way to cover a cage with a loft not using wire storage shelving?

how can I ensure that the lid will be strong enough ti withstand a 10lb animal jumping on it? How would I go about making a lid?

And finally is a single sheet of standard sized coroplast large enough to build a 2x5 cage with 6" walls and a 2x2 loft with 6" walls and to build a ramp?

DewOver

Cavy Slave
So I have officially decided that I am going to build a 2x4 C&C cage with a 2x2 loft and in order to take up less floor space in the cage I have figured out how to make a ramp that is on the outside of the cage (it will be supported by many zip ties and a wooden dowel underneath it). However I am at a loss at how to support the loft so it's strong. I am also trying to figure out how to cover the remaining half of the cage and the loft as I have two siberian huskies and a cat living with me (they are never in the room alone with my guinea pig but I just want to make sure my girl is safe). I need the top to be easy to open such as a flip fold and a way to secure it so the other animals cant open it and to have it be strong and secure. Also is a standard sheet of coro enough to build all of this? Any and all information is helpful thanks.
I'm also contemplating an exterior ramp. How are you building yours? I'm imagining a cage that's 30" x 52"and I'd like my loft to go the 52" length (one grid wide). I'd love to hear any good ideas you come across for supporting the upper level without being a nuisance for cleaning. Fortunately for me, I don't have to cover the cage. No other pets! Siberian Huskies, though... nice. One of my favorite breeds.

DewOver

Cavy Slave
What is the simplest way to cover a cage with a loft not using wire storage shelving?
I'm curious, why do you want to avoid the wire shelving?

YinYangPiggies

Cavy Slave

Golden2404

Cavy Slave
DewOver: I have dealt with the wire shelving and it was just a pain in the butt for me to work with. Plus in my area its just a bit on the expensive side and honestly I don't know how it would work with a cage with a loft and I'm not to good at building stuff.

I love my dogs but they think my pig is dinner. I really have to watch them around her they are super sweet though and always want to be in your lap. Awesome breed.

For the outer ramp I'm doing something like this
Screenshot 2014 10 03 11 17 47
Screenshot 2014 10 03 11 17 37

But making it less steep by adding another grid my girl won't use it unless its a really low ramp (if that makes sense) that's the main reason I'm doing an outer ramp. This will be enforced with plenty of zip ties and support rods underneath it (haven't exactly figured it all out yet but that is my main idea.

And I'm planning on making the loft a lift off piece secured to the rest of the cage with cage clips (the kind u buy from petstores to make it so your rat can't open up the cage door) and it will be supported with wonder bars.

Not sure how any of this will work but the few people who have posted have given me the ideas I needed.

Yinyangpiggies: I like the look of those thanks for the link!

DewOver

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=28954]Golden2404[/MENTION] I love the idea of being able to remove the loft. I didn't know about cage clips so I googled it and there are zillions of different ones. Can you show me a pic or a link of the ones you're using?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Closet shelving is definitely a much sturdier lid than grids can be. I have closet shelving on my 2x6 cage and it is sturdy enough without having any supports under it. Once my (50 pound!) dog jumped up and was standing on top of the cage, and the lid held. It was sagging, and it was a very scary experience, but the important part is that it held and he wasn't able to get to the pigs. The sagging would have been prevented by having wonder bars or dowels going across the cage to support the lid.

An exterior ramp would be a safety hazard with dogs. My ramp is on the inside of the cage but it's about 6" away from the side so the pigs can run right around it, and it takes up a very minimal amount of space.

You don't really need support for a loft other than having grids under it and make the connections very strong with zip ties. I used dowels for my half-height patio, but that's only because I didn't want grids under it.