Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Support for a 4ft cage?

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
My cage has to be 4ft tall. I was wondering what these where called? The black ramp thing? And If my cage STARTS at 4 ft (with cubes under to support it) will it be sturdy enough when piggy runs and jumps around? And, no, i cannot have the cage floor level. It needs to be high, or no cage at all.
Also, I have already cut/folded up coroplast from my previous cage. How do I re-use it and make it like new and no leak? Just simply tape it together and hack it again?

Thank you all so much! :) I CANT WAIT!!!!
newcage61.jpg

LucasWMYLexi

Cavy Slave
People use different ramps, the best ones to use are cat scratchers. Thats most likely the ramp on the picture, or use a wooden one (preferably the wooden ramps bought in 2 level cages)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
If I was going to make a cage that starts that high I would use connectors to add stability and then use 8" long cable ties on every single connection. So wherever there is a connector there will be between 1 and 4 cable ties. Make sure every connection is put together well and each grid is inserted all the way into the connector. That would make it very strong. Because each grid is 14" tall that would make a 3 grid high base about 43" tall. (5" shorter than 4 feet) Are you saying you want your cage to be on top of a 4' high stand? Making the top lip of the cage about 56" tall.

Another thing you can do is build the cage on shelves the size you need or build the stand separate from the cage and then cable tie the cage and stand together.

As for the ramps, you can buy a pre made one from the cage store, build one out of coroplast or build one out of grids bent into either an L shape that goes against he back wall of the cage or a U shape that goes anywhere you want.

As for the coroplast I am not sure about that but I would think you will need to protect the coroplast from getting too wet or pee on the tape will loosen it up. I'd use a water proof barrier on top. Either mattress protector pads, disposable puppy pads or a sheet of vinyl or plastic etc.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Why the height requirement? Are you trying to keep a dog out?

lissie

Cavy Slave
If I remember correctly, her room is small, and she needs to put the cage above her desk.

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
If I was going to make a cage that starts that high I would use connectors to add stability and then use 8" long cable ties on every single connection. So wherever there is a connector there will be between 1 and 4 cable ties. Make sure every connection is put together well and each grid is inserted all the way into the connector. That would make it very strong. Because each grid is 14" tall that would make a 3 grid high base about 43" tall. (5" shorter than 4 feet) Are you saying you want your cage to be on top of a 4' high stand? Making the top lip of the cage about 56" tall.

Another thing you can do is build the cage on shelves the size you need or build the stand separate from the cage and then cable tie the cage and stand together.

As for the ramps, you can buy a pre made one from the cage store, build one out of coroplast or build one out of grids bent into either an L shape that goes against he back wall of the cage or a U shape that goes anywhere you want.

As for the coroplast I am not sure about that but I would think you will need to protect the coroplast from getting too wet or pee on the tape will loosen it up. I'd use a water proof barrier on top. Either mattress protector pads, disposable puppy pads or a sheet of vinyl or plastic etc.

Yes, probably 56" tall. And thank you about the cable ties, I almost forgot about that!
And thanks for remembering, [MENTION=11509]lissie[/MENTION] !

I'll post a pic within a week or two!

Traysea

Cavy Slave
With your cage up that high will you be able to interact with your piggies?

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
With your cage up that high will you be able to interact with your piggies?

Yes, I AM short but we have step stools in our house :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Is it going to be attached to some furniture or will there just be an empty space below it? Is it a single level or multilevel cage? Is the photo just an example to ask about the black metal strips? If I had a cage 4 feet off the ground with an empty space below it or not sitting on something, I'd use something like deck wood to build a sturdy frame to support the cage.... the way a loft bed is held up. Having a cage that requires the use of a step ladder to reach it needs to be very secure. There's a big difference between reaching into a cage when your feet are on the floor and reaching from a ladder. I have a double decker made with all zip ties and cubes around and under both levels for added stability. My husband was helping me hang garland over the patio door near it and slipped off the step ladder. He fell onto the cage but the zip ties kept the cage intact. The side of the cage he fell on pushed all the way down into the top level of cage. Fortunately, none of the guinea pigs were near the side or they would have been squashed. Had it been built with connectors, I have no doubt it would have collapsed.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.