Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Supplement Feeding of orphan's....how long?

moosey2002

Cavy Slave
As I stated in my previous post, our babies were orphaned at just under 3 days of age. The vet said to give them milk/egg yolk and critical care mash every 3-5 hours until they were eating well on their own. I also have a 60 watt lamp over their bed area to keep them warm.
After posting here, and did more research on milk, I stopped that after 12 hours and just bumped up the critical mash to about 1.5 ml per feeding, along with 1 ml of straight water. In the last 12 hours of that they have done very well. They all appear to have gained weight (I dont have a scale), they look like little puffballs now instead of skin on bones. they are running around at times an pop-corning and playing with their nanny pig.
Last night, they were all eating nibbles of hay, lettuce, carrots, green peppers, pellets, and had a three way battle over the remaining carrot that was in the cage, and surprisingly enough, the smallest one, who the vet had about a 40% chance of survival, was the one to win!

Not one of them has ventured to try drinking from the water bottle. I even tried to introduce it to them myself last night, but they don't get it yet.

So at what point is it considered "eating well on their own"? How long should I continue to give them these supplement critical care feedings?

We've made it this far...I don't want to mess anything up at this point! Im so glad this was a long weekend for work...I honestly believe if I didn't stay up with them these last 36 hours that they wouldn't have made it, or at least the little one wouldn't have.

Congratulations on the success of all your hard work. You've done a great job with these little guys.

I'd go buy a scale -- they're not very expensive. And I'd stop hand feeding the ones that seem to be eating well. But I'd weigh a couple of times a day, at the same time of day, to make sure nobody's losing ground without the mash. They might lose a few grams the first day or so, but anything more than that, or any change in behavior, and I'd start hand feeding again.

As an afterthought, you could try feeding the mash by putting three piles of it on a plate. You might have to take the nanny pig out to let the little guys get to it, but if they'll eat it that way, it will certainly be easier on you than syringe feeding.

Congratulations on the success of all your hard work. You've done a great job with these little guys.

I'd go buy a scale -- they're not very expensive. And I'd stop hand feeding the ones that seem to be eating well. But I'd weigh a couple of times a day, at the same time of day, to make sure nobody's losing ground without the mash. They might lose a few grams the first day or so, but anything more than that, or any change in behavior, and I'd start hand feeding again.

As an afterthought, you could try feeding the mash by putting three piles of it on a plate. You might have to take the nanny pig out to let the little guys get to it, but if they'll eat it that way, it will certainly be easier on you than syringe feeding.
thank you...thats a good idea to put it on a plate. Ill try that!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.