Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Super Skittish Pig

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Does anyone have any ideas for how I can get Twix to bond with me better? Whenever I put my hand in the cage, ZOOM! Into the hidey he goes. I take out the hidey when I'm cleaning the cage so I can pick him up "easier". Still, he just runs around the cage at top speed, trying to get away from my hand. Sometimes when I pick him up he squeals, too. I'm just kind of confused, because Marble is just fine witth me picking him up, he has been ever since the 3rd or 4th day I had him... Twix can be kind of sqirmy when I hold him too. Once, I tried picking him up, and he was jumping over my hand! He then ran to the corner and jumped at least 7 inches in the air!!:eye-poppi Then when he landed, he ran into his hidey. He jumps at Marble when he doesn't want Marble near him, but he doesn't actually bite. Do you think he was jumping because he didn't want me to pick him up? I really want Twix to let me pick him up easier. Does anyone else have pigs like this?:confused:

Guinea pigs are by nature "the prey." To run and hide is their natural instinct. All of my guinea pigs do it to me. Even the one that I have had for over 4 years now still runs away when I put my hand in the cage. Depending upon how long you have had Twix, he may just need to get used to you but he may just not be a cuddly pig. A few of my girls are like that. And about the squealing when you pick him up..He may just be frightened. Some pigs just hate being picked up though. I also have two males and Wiley will jump at Flapjack whenever Flapjack is threatening or tormenting him. The cage may also be too small.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I can get Twix to bond with me better? Whenever I put my hand in the cage, ZOOM! Into the hidey he goes. I take out the hidey when I'm cleaning the cage so I can pick him up "easier". Still, he just runs around the cage at top speed, trying to get away from my hand. Sometimes when I pick him up he squeals, too. I'm just kind of confused, because Marble is just fine witth me picking him up, he has been ever since the 3rd or 4th day I had him... Twix can be kind of sqirmy when I hold him too. Once, I tried picking him up, and he was jumping over my hand! He then ran to the corner and jumped at least 7 inches in the air!!:eye-poppi Then when he landed, he ran into his hidey. He jumps at Marble when he doesn't want Marble near him, but he doesn't actually bite. Do you think he was jumping because he didn't want me to pick him up? I really want Twix to let me pick him up easier. Does anyone else have pigs like this?:confused:
Well, my Leo never really started bonding with me until about a month after I got him, which was when I decided to start hand feeding him his veggies. I started by holding the veggies right outside of his hidy house, and when he would eat from my hand there, I moved a little farther away. Eventually, he would go to the farthest reaches of his cage in search of my hand (when it had veggies in it). So maybe you have on of those pigs whose affection for you relates directly to how much he associates you with food lol.

Thank you both! I'll try that, Rayvn. :)
The cage may also be too small.
I don't think that is the problem. They used to be in a pet store cage, now they're in a 2x4 C&C, but I hope to make it bigger once I get my loft bed. My pigs are both REALLY small, too.

I have a guinea pig like that. Brock only walks up to me when I sit down next to the cage quietly, and he thinks I have food. He lives with his polar opposite, Jack. Jack runs up to me as I walk in the room, and Brock runs into his hide. I've stopped blaming myself, as he's my only anti social guinea pig. I think it's just in his nature.

I had one other guinea pig like that, Ella. She lived with Nawnea and Nibbie. They were cuddle bugs; she was terrified of paper. Who knows?

I totally understand how you feel. I adopted my piggie Honey back in September. She was the exact same.. Every time I would go in the room she will zoom right in her house even chat her teeth at me. But everyday I would start coming in the room humming a song and calling her name softly so she can come out her hidey house. After a couple of times doing this she would zoom out the house and just look at me waiting to call her name she seemed to get use to it.
My point is just do the same routine with him for a while so he can get use to you and know what to expect from you.

Ravyn is absolutely right! I to did the hand feeding and it was a success! Food is GOLD to piggies. Also if you have family in the house try letting them hold him gently so he can trust and know what to expect when going to be held.

Every piggie is different. It seems like it would take sometime to get Twix use to you. But no worries try all these techniques little by little and you'll have positive results in no time! :)

Last edited:
I am having this same problem. I rescued a rather large female piggy about 2 weeks ago from a daycare. She was skittish the first few days but now she's fine with us. I can put my hand in the cage pet her head and pick her up pretty easily. She still runs occasionally but I know that's just their nature.

On the other hand, last week I adopted another female from the local shelter so she will have a friend. She is really small (they said she's 'young' 1-3 years) and although they couldn't give me any real backf ground I have a feeling she may have lived in the shelter her whole life (dropped off as a baby- there were two other similar size/color piggies in the cage with her). She is still being quarantined. She rarely comes out of her cage (if we are in the room) and if she does and we move or she sees us she runs back into her pigloo. The two times I've picked her up (to clean the cage) she runs like mad and it's almost impossible to catch her and when I do she squeals bloody murder. I understand this is probably still pretty normal but I'm not sure how to socialize/bond with her the best way.

So my question(s) is:
1. Should I try the hand feeding (unsuccessful so far) and NOT pick her up for a little while until she's more comfortable eating out of my hand OR
2. Should I make a point to pick her up and hold her daily so she gets used to me as well as hand feeding her (in my lap)?

I talk to her constantly anytime I am in the room so she'll get used to my voice but I've read differing opinions on the hold/don't hold issue.

I want her to be more comfortable with me before I put her with my other piggy. Their cages are right near each other so they can get used to each other's smells and sounds. I think my big piggy will take to her right away and maybe mother her a little?

HELP!! I want her to be happy!

I am having this same problem. I rescued a rather large female piggy about 2 weeks ago from a daycare. She was skittish the first few days but now she's fine with us. I can put my hand in the cage pet her head and pick her up pretty easily. She still runs occasionally but I know that's just their nature.

On the other hand, last week I adopted another female from the local shelter so she will have a friend. She is really small (they said she's 'young' 1-3 years) and although they couldn't give me any real backf ground I have a feeling she may have lived in the shelter her whole life (dropped off as a baby- there were two other similar size/color piggies in the cage with her). She is still being quarantined. She rarely comes out of her cage (if we are in the room) and if she does and we move or she sees us she runs back into her pigloo. The two times I've picked her up (to clean the cage) she runs like mad and it's almost impossible to catch her and when I do she squeals bloody murder. I understand this is probably still pretty normal but I'm not sure how to socialize/bond with her the best way.

So my question(s) is:
1. Should I try the hand feeding (unsuccessful so far) and NOT pick her up for a little while until she's more comfortable eating out of my hand OR
2. Should I make a point to pick her up and hold her daily so she gets used to me as well as hand feeding her (in my lap)?

I talk to her constantly anytime I am in the room so she'll get used to my voice but I've read differing opinions on the hold/don't hold issue.

I want her to be more comfortable with me before I put her with my other piggy. Their cages are right near each other so they can get used to each other's smells and sounds. I think my big piggy will take to her right away and maybe mother her a little?

HELP!! I want her to be happy!

Definitively everyone has their own way and techniques with bonding with their piggy. I honestly think the best way is to yes hold her daily just as much as you can even if it's real quick when having a busy day. Having floor time is super important when bonding and speaking of floor time you can take some toys out and just see what she likes and is attracted to. Also when you enter the room you can lightly pet her to show you are present. With the hand feeding I think the best way is to put her on the bed,couch wherever you usually let your piggies be and feed her by hand even bring in your other piggy so you three can bond all together but for now you should just feed her so she knows whose boss. What I did with mine was feed her and pet her at the same time I honestly tried everything and feeding her by hand was the best way of showing trust since they LOVE eating especially when they eat little treats and know who brings in the food! :) I too talk to my piggies also, actually my adopted piggy got so use to it when I baby talk her she starts squeaking! It will be a challenge at first but by holding her daily and showing you are her feeder she will warm up to you in no time.

No worries you are doing everything right! Every little thing counts. Just make sure you only feed her for now! :) I hope this was useful information keep us updated with the bonding process.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.