Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Super Glue accident with Guinea pig

ArtiWho

Cavy Slave
It was just an stupid accident and I feel terrible about it, my GPs were playing around my feet having their floor time (I placed the playpen around the table so I can be in the playpen while working) and I was sticking a porcelain figurine back together with Super Glue and somehow the Super Glue fell on the floor and got spilled, when I saw the mess I also noticed that one of my guinea pigs had stepped on it. His little foot is covered with dry glue on, in the middle of the nails and on top of the foot, I tried to take it off but the he was really complaining. I took almost all off the paw, but the fur on top of it is all covert with super glue and he complains if I try to clean it. What should I do? He seems to be ok and he can walk ok, but it worries me that the glue may hurt his foot or worst. Please help me!!!

Slightly diluted acetone (nail polish remover) on a cotton swab/q-tip. Apply it straight to the super glue & hold it there, it should dissolve the glue.
Then wash the area thoroughly with water to remove any leftover acetone, moisturize with some pure aloe vera gel over the whole paw.

If you don't have aloe vera gel, coconut oil would work, too.

If you don't have aloe vera gel, coconut oil would work, too.

It would, though aloe vera or calendula has awesome healing, cooling & anti inflammatory properties.
Just make sure to test for allergies first by applying a drop of the vegetable oil behind the ear for an hour, if there is any irritation, remove immediately.

No baby/mineral oil.

Last edited:
i wouldn't be too concerned. i work in a hospital, and our medical director specifically recommend using crazy glue on those dry cracked paper-cut like cuts on our hands we get from so much hand washing. it works the same as the more expensive liquid bandaid and he swears it's completely safe. probably safe for pigs too, tho obviously not recommended. it will be hard to stop your pig from trying to chew it off, and that probably wouldn't be great, tho.

I had a deep cut on my hand closed with super glue at the emergency room. It won't harm the skin but I would be concerned about him chewing it off since it comes off in one piece. You might want to call your vet. I'm sure they'd have the expertise to remove it without harming your guinea pig. I'd be leery about applying anything else he can ingest.

Thank you for your advice! I removed as much as I could with the acetone, he was making a real fuss over the procedure. I just checked on him and he took most of the glued fur off, there is just a little bit of super glue between the toes but he seems fine. Thank you very much for the responses, I was so worry, I love my pets so much and I don’t want them to suffer or to be unconfortable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.