Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Super Exicted!

Neocavyowner

Cavy Slave
Hey you guys!
Oh man, when I was surprised with Tucker (five month old pig) I'll admit i was scared! I didnt know what to do because i never taken care of animals like cavies in general i was the basic person knowing about cats and dogs and rabbits in general *thro a friend* so we got him a 4 week old buddy name sisco last night, ive been more excited for them two because i know its gonna be adverenturous and ive been getting attached to tucker during the week, today would be excaty one week since we had him, and im looking forward to taking care of them, and learning thier habits. thats what i wanted to say, just to say im exicted. :-D

any advice how to play with them? I gotten them a spray thing kinda like grooming, spray and make them smell clean like they have for cats and dogs, but this is cavy approved, and the sad thign is that i gotten a snack an orange drop thing supposly has vitamin c in it, but turns out its bad for them because of sugar... :-(

ortal

Cavy Slave
Well you should wait to introduce them, for 3 weeks, incase one is sick. They need to be in separate cages in sep. rooms. But if that is not the case, read all the stickys (do this anyways) on the top of each page, to get great ideas and advice.

Oh, and no vitamins in the water, that is a common error.

Neocavyowner

Cavy Slave
oh i meant about the drops, it isnt for water * i dont think* its a treat. my friend who had one and she made a mistake not giving her enough vitamin c she eneded up losing all her furr and she had to be put down since she couldnt even control her self or move such on. and was supposed to have it in the water so she told me but we got the pellets food with vit c in it. and both from the same owner, i wouldnt call her a breeder. same fathers and such.

thanks :) they seem to get along great, and we thought about making sure we should seperate them but like i said same person we gotten them from. came with a cage, bedding, food for a few days and a book on them *from 1972* built a cage, he made sure he didnt buy one from the pet store speaking from expereince of myself on tutles and such.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I would stop using the spray, why do they need to smell clean? Should they not smell clean already considering guinea pigs have no natural odour? If you got the spray from a pet store than it is even more likely that it is not good for them. The manufacturers of these products don't care about the welfare of the animal but rather the money and profit that they make from these products.

All pet store treats are bad, they are either too high in sugar or fat or they pose as a choking hazard amongst other things. Stick to fresh produce, unlimited grass hay and good quality plain pellets.

Your cage should be 10.5sq ft considering they are boars. If the cage you are using is not this big then it is likely that fights will happen. Also, they should have been introduced in a nuetral area (not sure if you did or not). If they were both placed into the cage territorial issues may arise.

Neocavyowner

Cavy Slave
Ah yea, We built a 2 by 5 cage and we have coplast so that type of thing i guess its a bit bigger than two mim needed, so but eventually we will make a second level or make it a bit bigger, but i hope till that comes, it will be in the bigger place cuz i dont think i need them to take up MORE of the living room lol. but i think the cage is very nice for the living room :-D i didnt realize that they couldnt have the treats, thanks fro telling me i knew THOSE were bad today but treats in general? thats new! and for the spray, well im very picky ont he smell and habits, so i didnt want them to be smelling like thier own bathroom type of thing i wanted them to smell good i didnt know what to expect! thanks again

ortal

Cavy Slave
PS read the forum rules about capitalization and grammar before you get a warning from the moderatoes :). Not to be mean, it happened to me.

They should get all their vitamin C and calcium from mostly veggies and pellets too. See if you can find Oxbow hay and pellets in your area, its the best.
((broken link removed))

Also, See the diet charts as a sticky in the diet and nutrition forum for the best information on veggies and what gives them what.

Neocavyowner

Cavy Slave
Ah thank you, why does the gramar mean alot here? I thought it was something basic like discussion of the pigs?

I<3MyBabies

Cavy Slave
Oh, the grammar and spelling is simply because we have many members whose first language is not English! We try to accomodate everyone by speaking clearly and make it as easy as possible for everyone to read and understand our posts. That way, everyone benefits! That's all :)

Heidi

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Congrats on getting your piggie a piggie friend. I bet he is so happy and it sounds like you have a great cage. too.

Ah thank you, why does the gramar mean alot here? I thought it was something basic like discussion of the pigs?

Because those first 3 posts were extremely hard to read and understand. I had to read them several times and I still don't totally understand all of what you were saying. I can only imagine how difficult it is for someone whose first language isn't English. As I<3MyBabies said, we have a high number of people here from all over the world.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.