Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool "Summer Homes" ??

Squint96

Cavy Slave
In the summer my room gets VERY hot- long story short I have three windows that face the sun all day, and sometimes my heaters are still on in the summer because they leak. I have a fan in my room and another little one attached to the boy's cage. I was thinking though, what if I moved them into the basement for the summer. It is much cooler down there. We have a little office so they could go in there. It is a little dark down there but I think it would be worth it on those super hot days. What do you all think?

Is it possible to have two cages? That way it wouldn't be a huge hassle to switch back and forth depending on hotter or cooler days.

Yes actually, I'm on my way home from picking up a new cage I found on Craigslist for FREE!! :)

That sounds like a great solution. I kind of have the opposite problem. I'm in FL, where it's viciously hot for most of the year, so we always run the A/C. Unfortunately, it cools our house very unevenly, and the piggy room is one of the colder rooms, but it's the only spot large enough for big cages.

I work in the family room, which is warmer, so I have a swimming pool as a playpen for the pigs, and they spend much of day in there (I can't keep them in it permanently because of the cats, since it's on the floor with no lid). They have water bottles and I give them veggies and hay in it, so it's like a second cage.

If you put a light on, and you go down to the basement enough to say "hi," it sounds like a workable solution for your piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.