Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Suggestions for table to house large C & C cage

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Mom currently has her 4 girls (one is mine lol ) housed in a doubled up Midwest cage. She is thinking about upgrading to a 2 X 6 C & C cage, but is having a hard time finding a table or tables to keep the cage on. She wants something that will look nice as the cage is in the living room. She also wants something that has metal legs as she's afraid the girls might chew wooden ones, being that they're out of the cage for floor time from morning til bedtime.

I told her I would ask over here, as there are many creative people here, so someone might come up with a good solution :)

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I once spent months trying to find the perfect table for my cage. I finally did the "strike forehead with hand" and asked self why was I struggling to find a table. I built a custom grid stand that perfectly fits my cage. My cage and stand are so sturdy that one could sit or sleep in it.

I built the cage and stand separately and then zip-tied them together. I have a bottom on cage and a bottom on the stand so that I can put storage containers in the cubby holes that I created in the stand. I went a step further and put casters on the stand so that the entire structure can be moved for cleaning. My cage is a 2x5 with a 2x2 offset loft. The top of the main level is 31 in. off the floor which would probably be adequate if one had a small inquisitive dog, or it could be built two grids high for a larger dog.

I am happy to share pics of the construction.......after Sunday. I'm presently feverishly working on a project with a Sunday deadline that is occupying most of my "spare" time.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
@ spy9doc.....After looking all over the net, mom is thinking about getting this table, as she wants to give the pigs half of the space underneath and the rest she wants to put some of those sterlite storage drawers. Dad says he can attach a lip type thing around the table so the cage is contained and won't move about. Do you think this would be a good option?

(broken link removed)

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Do you think this would be a good option?

I don't.......because the table is "slick" and the cage would move around too much. But, perhaps your Dad is super creative? Plus, I think this particular table is just plain ugly. If one were going to use it for a cage, I would want to make a nice drape for it to cover the Sterlite containers, etc. underneath.

I just happen to like my setup. I have those nice canvas bins in the cubby holes and there's a gap where two plastic containers fit nicely. I'm so limited in what I can do because I don't have room to expand the cage, as much as I'd like to do so.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Yes, dad is going to make a lip all around the edges to keep the cage contained, and mom is going to use the industrial strength velcro to hang a drape from. She wants to keep half of the table open underneath as the pigs like to hang out and nap there. She has a similar set up for the double midwest she has now. The remainder of the space under the table would be used for storage.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Maybe some pics after the setup is complete?

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Sure will ☺️. Dad is working on the table now, he's installing the lip around the edge. Mom has her cage order ready to go, she just hasn't placed it yet, she wants to see how the table turns out first ��.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Update.......The table is finished and holds the cage perfectly. Mom just finished decorating it for Halloween so I thought I might share some pics. First @spy9doc, this is the way dad edged it to keep the cage in place, kind of like a photo frame edging Table edging 1.jpgTable edging 2.jpg

Here are some pics of the dec's
Girls Halloween cage 2017 1.jpgGirls Halloween cage 2017 3.jpgGirls Halloween cage 2017 5.jpg

lisa325

Cavy Slave
More pics......

Girls Halloween cage 2017 6.jpgGirlsHalloween cage 2017 2.jpg

and finally........The House

Halloween 2017.jpg

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!! ~~~

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Beautiful work on all accounts! :love: Kudos to both Mom & Dad for their handiwork. I'll just bet that the pics are of the girls' cage? Did she also decorate the boys' cage? It's obvious that your Mom is enthusiastic about her furry "grandkids" and is quite creative.

I see that the new cage is a 2x6. Did your Dad find the longer table at BJ's? I've seen the 96" version in the store and see it online as well. BJs has the best selection of folding tables that I've seen, and some of them are not the white granite resin variety which can be quite slick. They carry a black one with a vinyl-type covering on the top. BTW, where did you find the white grids? They are quite attractive. I aspire to build a new cage out of closet shelving, but just can't seem to find the time. The boys' cage is in desperate need of new liners which have to take priority.

If your Mom needs a new challenge, I have lots of material and u-Haul pads ready to go and a good quality sewing machine that await her......all within traveling distance! :cool:

lisa325

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie.......Thank you so much, you are so kind :). You are correct about mom, lol, dad is always telling her to "Stop cleaning, sit down and relax the house is sterile". She just likes to keep a clean, comfy home, it makes her feel good.
@spy9doc.....Thank you for your words of encouragement too :). Dad found the table at Lowe's. The whole cage was purchased here at the cages store, I've seen some great cages made from closet shelving and I wish you the best of luck when you get around to making one. Unfortunately, mom didn't sew the cage liners, she buy's them from Etsy or some lady on Ebay. She only sews the small stuff like 2 X 1 liners, pee pads, and the fleece forests, she's too nervous to attempt a big bottom liner. I've only sewn the smaller liners too, the big ones are just too daunting for me. Right now she's going nuts trying to find a cutesy 60X120 table cloth for under their cage, as she's currently using the one we use for our Thanksgiving table, lol, but she's not having any luck. She saw one that was white and just had all cute little pumpkins on it, she thought she had struck gold, but then found out it was only made as large as 60X102.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, mom didn't sew the cage liners, she buy's them from Etsy or some lady on Ebay.

Whew.......I was beginning to feel inferior in the creative department. My piggy items look pretty good, but they are just worn out along with the liners. I only have one cozy that is large enough for my 3 lb. Sparky. Neither of them used the cozies in the first year, but somehow in the past six months they have grown fond of them. With the advent of winter, I'd like to make some that they can be comfortable in.

You didn't answer my question. Did she also decorate the boys' cage? BTW, was thinking of you yesterday and wishing I knew precisely where you live. I drove to Philadelphia and back yesterday (yes, 8 hrs +roundtrip) and was wishing I could stop by to meet you and the herd.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Oh yes, I did forget to answer that question didn't I,lol. I actually decorated the boys cages, although Mario didn't have a Halloween liner this year, it was too late to order one, the time just snook up on me, but he did have other little Halloween goodies.
IMG_2686.jpgIMG_2689.jpgIMG_2693.jpg

Yoshi's Midwest ( he's only in there while we all sleep at night, he's out with Mario in their playground during the day)

IMG_2695.jpgIMG_2696.jpg

Mario the bruiser lol, who is now weighing in at 1394 grams

I live in Lake Como, or Belmar, 2 blocks from the ocean, next time you're planning on passing this way, let me know, we would be happy for you to visit us and the herd :)

lisa325

Cavy Slave
IMG_2685.jpg

I forgot the full view :)

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
And, I thought my boys are spoiled! :crazy:

You keep referencing the boys' playground? How about taking some pics when it is set up and in use? Do you have a ramp from the cage down to the playground or must they stay on the playground until you return them to their cage(s)? I'm thinking that I'd love to do something like that for the boys when I'm at work although the middle of the day is their sleepy time and I'm not sure that they would use it. I don't really have room to do such a setup when I'm at home because their cage is in my home office and we would both need the same space. Suggestions?

equinox96

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc, I know you were asking Lisa325 about a ramp and her pigs but I thought I might share what I use.

My GPs absolutely love it and I set it up every night and all weekend long. I could leave it there during the weekdays but it's nice to get my living room back. They are so used to it that sometimes I don't even put the grids around it but when I'm too busy to keep an eye on them or on weekends when I leave their door open even at night I prefer to put the grid around it. The liners that make up the floor are liners I've made using one layer of fleece, one layer of uhaul and one layer of PUL. The ramp stays there all the time, I simply open a flap door in the cage and it leads to the ramps. To make them come back up, I make kissy noises and give them treats and they come running up the ramp. They love it so much that sometimes if I late laying the liners down and opening their trap door, they gnaw at the flap and the bars... lolll

IMG_1982.jpgIMG_1983.jpg

Attachments

IMG_1982.jpg

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Absolutely! Thank you for sharing. You obviously have the luxury of space......which I don't have. My cavy cage sits alongside my desk and already occupies about one-fourth of my small home office so there is space only for me or for the boys. They can't be out of the cage when I'm working at my desk. It would have to be when I'm away for the day. I don't have a problem with cutting a door in one of the grids and the coro and happen to have an extra ramp on hand. I have lots of extra grids with which to make a play pen and would probably use quilted incontinence pads instead of fleece liners.

I'm not really familiar with PUL, although I believe it is used in making diapers? Where do you buy it and how is it to work with? My liners are fleece with a uHaul layer in the middle. I need to make new liners for the cage and could use the old ones for the playpen. One question.......where is their water? I don't see a suspended bottle outside of the cage. If so, to what is it attached? Thanks for your input.

Big cage - small space.jpg

equinox96

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc Thank you. I always love looking at your setup. You could let them out in the evening when you're home but not working in your office. That way you can enjoy watching all their antics and still have an eye on them even if you're not in the same room. My favorite thing to watch is when OC comes down and checks out the tunnels and obstacles and then runs up and does a speedy parcour for about 5-6 laps down and around and then back up and then so on and so on. He is sooo fast, it's amazing and then Mogz gets annoyed and will try to block .... hilarious!

So about the PUL. I live in Canada where most things are more expensive, this being said, I usually by mine at Fabricland unless I want/need a lot of things from Fabric.com and it's worth paying the shipping fees.

PUL is amazing and really sturdy in the wash. You're right, it's what mother's use to make their baby's reusable diapers...! Sewing with it is another story unless you have a walking foot for your machine, which I don't. I have figured out that if I use lots of pins and sew them in this order: U-Haul - PUL - Fleece, then it stays put and doesn't "stick" to my sewing machine. Just make sure you place both good sides of PUL and Fleece together leaving an opening for when you flip it inside out.

I don't use PUL on my cage liners though because I find it works better and wicks better so lasts longer if I use fleece - u-haul - fleece combination and then incontinence pads under my liners. It absorbs more and dries faster. If you use just incontinence pads, may I suggest you lie fleece on top just so it keeps they bums dry but you probably already know this.

As for the water, when I don't put up the grid fence around the pen then I don't put up the water. They have two bottles in their cage and can go up and down as they wish for food, water or to simply hang out. When I do leave the set up this way for longer periods like over the weekend then I attach a bottle to a grid that is permanently attached to one of their cubbies. You don't see it from this angle but the last cubby is where the GP vacuum is and I don't want them going in there. I simply lower a grid that is permanently attached to their cage but can swing down and I attach it so they can't access the cubby. Because of the way it is attached it is much sturdier than the grid fence so makes for a sturdier wall to attach the bottle. We all know how they push and pull on those water nozzles... I also add a hay bin when I leave the ramp open overnight just in case...

I have even used this setup when I had to go away for a 3 day weekend. I had someone come in and check their hay, water and add veggies and food twice a day but she didn't have to clean up since their area was so big and after 3 days it wasn't smelly at all.

I hope this helps. English isn't my first language so if something gets lost in translation and doesn't make sense, let me know... I'll clarify or add pictures.

@lisa325 Both those cages are awesome!!! I love it when people decorate their cages for special occasions. I wish we had a Joann's fabric store closer to me and the exchange rate wasn't so high. Altough you inspired me and this made me go look further so I think I will be ordering some nice Halloween throws from aliesexpress very soon :D

Last edited:

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the very detailed reply! Ton anglais est tr?s bon. Mon fran?ais est gr?ce ? Google Translator.

It sounds as though our cage setup is much the same insofar as using liners with incontinence pads underneath. I think that Lisa is now using incontinence pads for her playground area as well? Your point is well taken about putting a layer of fleece over the pads for the play area. I look forward to having the time to make some changes for the boys.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
@equinox96.....That's a really cool play area :).I love the ramp, and aren't those little kiddie stools a Godsend? The Ikea ones are like $3.50 a piece and my pigs just love resting under them.
@spy9doc......Yes, you are correct, I use those runner mats from the flea market covered over with the large incontinence pads you suggested to me :), and then the $2.50 rolls of Walmart fleece on top. I also use the Ikea bath mats $7.50 under the table, so they will be nice and comfy. I hope they get some more fleece in Walmart with Christmas designs on :)

Girls hangout Oct 2017.jpg

Girls hangout 2 Oct 2017.jpg

They love hanging out under the table at resting time

Boys hallway hangout 1.jpg

Boys hallway hangout 2.jpg

Unfortunately we have to use the bars to keep the boys separate due to fighting.......little buggers :mad:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.