Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Play Suggested exercise?

brittttaaannyyy

Cavy Slave
Luna is about a year old. I just bought her a bigger cage although it hasn't arrived yet. She flips her plastic igloo over and potties in it all the time. When I clean it and flip it back over, she just flips it again! Is she bored? Sometimes she also runs all around like crazy. She doesn't get any sugar treats or anything, and she does that on days she doesn't even get fruit!
I just got her a few weeks ago and she is my first guinea, so I'm just not sure what I should do to engage her! She runs away from me but once I get her, she is fine for a few minutes in my hands and then she decides she doesn't want to be there anymore. Any suggested toys or exercise? Thanks!!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
The bigger cage should help a lot, she likely is bored and full of extra energy she can't use to run. In the meantime, I suggest lots of floor time and putting something heavy on top of the pigloo/buying a heavier pigloo. Mine flip over their pigloos all the time, but I have an extra, heavier hidey so that even when a pigloo is flipped, they all have somewhere to go.

You can just clean off a smooth rock and put it up there and it'll probably be fine. Just make sure it's not something she can grip on with her teeth, and use vinegar to wash it instead of soap.

For floor time, you can either "piggy proof" a room and let her run around in there, or get/make a playpen for her to zoom around in. Bathrooms are usually easy to piggy proof as long as nothing's laying around. I find it fun to sit on the floor while my pigs run around and explore the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

equinox96

Cavy Slave
When I just had the one, he didn't move much. What I did to change this is I made a pen, put plastic stools and cardboard boxes everywhere to give him confidence and hideys all at the same time. I would then spread out his cut up veggies directly on the floor all around him. After he got used to this, I would hide his veggies in toilet paper rolls, inside baking dishes or under plastic cups. This is when I first saw him zoom around and popcorn! It didn't take long for him to look forward to floor time :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.