Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Sugar Gliders

Jessi B

Cavy Slave
I was wondering does anyone on here know anything about sugar gliders? I have researched, but my experience in the whole research shebang on guinea pigs, the majority of it ends up to be a load of breeder B.S. and is completely worthless to a newbie. I have considered sugar gliders for a couple of years now, just not sure on the information out there and not really trusting any of it. If I did trust most of the pet related sites out there, breeding is fun and easy! Yeah you get the picture. Just a bunch of crap out there.

One of the many reasons that I am considering sugar gliders is the whole carrying them in a pouch with you around the house while they sleep, and the fact that as far as what I have read, is they are very bonding creatures with the right care will just bond with you and really no one else. I do know that they require very special care and can be quite costly, and are not for the novice pet owner. So this I do realize. I would just like some more insight on them before I really start to consider one of my own.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
I don't know a huge amount about sugar gliders having never owned one, but I did do a lot of research a while back (I was also considering getting one).

The main problems I foud were:

Feeding. As far as I know there are no commercially available diets, so you have to make a fresh balanced diet yourself. This could work out quite expensive, as well as being really difficult ensuring you get exactly the right amounts of all the nutrients. It sounded really, really complicated when I looked into it.

Mess - apparently sugar gliders tend to urinate outside of their cage, which might leave your home looking a state, not to mention the smell.

Social life - as you said, gliders become heavily attached to one person. This sounds nice, but will cause serious problems if you ever want to go anywhere without your pet, on holiday for example.

Space - sugar gliders needs loads of space - enough to be able to glide. I would consider more of an "avairy" type pet than a cage pet, as they need so much room.

Vets - these are real exoticss, far more so than guinea pigs, and finding a vet who knows anything about them could be virtually impossible depending where you live.

Sorry if this sounds awful - I fell in love with the first glider I met and really wanted to get one, but after doing some research I realised it would be so difficult, and unfair to the glider should I get anything wrong.

Jessi B

Cavy Slave
Yeah, those are deffinitely some issues, and if I do decide to get one, it will be much much later, but IF I do get one, I will be deffinitely be prepared, such as a vet, a sugar glider proofed house and all the information possible, but I was just curious if most of the information out there was crap. But I do appreciate you playing devils advocate and pointing out the negative, because before I do go searching for a rescue I need to know all the negatives. That is probably the most important thing in my opinion before aquiring another pet, to know all you can on the things that can go wrong and the things that are not the most fun. That way, you do not get overloaded with things that you can not handle and get put in a position where your pet can be harmed because you are not doing something right and were not prepared for the things that could go wrong. Surprises like that are not a good thing.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I would like to state that as a wild animal I do not feel that sugar gliders should be kept as pets without proper licensing and regular home inspections. The obsession of humans to keep wild animals as companion animals is way out of hand. Every few years it seems some new, small (or large) animal is taken from the wild and caged for our amusement. It becomes fashionable and animals suffer and die by the hundreds or thousands

If an animal like this was ever to be kept as a pet then it should only be acquired from a rescue and kept in the very best accomodations with a proper diet, regular vet care and with the promise of a lifelong commitment so it never again is abandoned or rehomed. It can be a huge undertaking.

Jessi B

Cavy Slave
VJ, believe it or not, I do totally agree with you on the fact of wild animals being brought in and sold as pets has gotten completely out of hand. I would never ever bring an animal into my home that was taken directly from the wild or is the direct offspring of such or anywhere near. There is no reason for animals like that to be caged by people who know absolutely nothing about them and just think they are cute. It takes generation after generations of animals for one species to become domesticated and some of them should have never been. Such as people who have bears or tigers or skunks. Sugar Gliders I know are not that far from this example. But the ones that are around now are domesticated and have a right to a proper home. Now I am not saying go out and buy one. That would just be adding to the problem of people actually bringing them in from the wild. But just like hedgehogs and chinchillas, the ones around now ARE domesticated and know nothing different then the pet world. Not to mention generation after generations of senseless deaths becase the people bringing them in and buying them have no earthly idea of how to care for them, so it is sadly a simple game of trial and error for the people. I remember in middle school this girl had a sugar glider and brought him in to show the science class. A 10 year old child was the main caregiver to this animal!!! I got so mad at her even then, when I knew nothing about the proper way to care for these animals. She had him in a tiny bird cage and had KOOL-AID in his water dishes because she said that sugar gliders do not drink water, they drink fruit juice! The poor thing...

But back to what I was saying. If I do ever actually get a sugar glider, I would get it from a rescue definitely and would do everything and anything I could possibly do to keep him/her or them happy and healthy. And I have never ever even thought of the idea to get rid of any of my animals EVER, so it would deffinitely be a life long commitment. No questions asked on that one there.

kittnkarr

Cavy Slave
I personally have not owned one but do know quite a few people who have.
They bonding part to one person is a true statement but the most important part is their diet.

Some people still believe in giving cat food to a glider but that is unexceptable. Now a days there are commercially made foods for them but as with all animal foods you do need to look for one that has the best nutriens/vitamins/minerals, etc that you can get out of it and not stuffed full of junk.

You can mix commercial food with a fresh diet as well to get the most out of both and ensure that they are getting the healthy diet. I do know this Sugar Gliders do require "vitamin D" in their diet.

As for housing you can use a C&C cage modified for them to have their space but try to find the mesh grids so that you don't have to worry about any escape attempts.

I will ask my friend that has had them and find out as much info as I can for you. She has done a lot of research on them and has taught me a few things about them as well.

chinchillasunde

Cavy Slave
Sugar Gliders have been in domesticity for some time though..albeit not at long as Cavies. The Sugar Gliders around in the US are far from wild, and are no longer imported from the wild they have been bred captively for some time.
Main thing with having Suggies is having a good vet, specifically for them, like with any pet. There are some good diets online,I feed BML and many other things along with it. Variety is key. They are very social. I'd not recommend getting a lone glider unless it's one from a rescue that's been alone already. They urinate some outside of the cage..but not alot. They do get some of their fresh food outside of the cage as well. Males that have not been neutered , to many, have a very DISTINCT odor. I'd not have another unaltered male. Some aren't bothered by it..but many are. Gliders that have been well socialilzed are often nice with others besides their owners. And some are just nice to anyone. I was luck to get a 6 year old male at one time, that was the sweetest suggie..from day ONE. Anyone ..was a new friend to him. Plastic coated cages, are best. Bare galvanized wire is not good..plus the plastic makes it so much easier to clean. I personally don't like any of the manufactured glider foods for the most part, and if anything they should be a small part of a gliders diet. Cat food is a bit high in protein, although some high quality dog kibble can be incorporated into the diet. C& C cages wouldn't work without basically covering the whole thing with 1/2"x1/2"plastic coated wire. You can can the plastic coated wire online and build your own cage if you don't want to purchase one. Large bird cages, with small wire spacing make great Glider homes. Sugar Gliders MUST have calcium in their diet or can suffer from hind leg problems. Lonely or stressed gliders that dont' get enough attention can self mutilate..that's why I'd always have two if possible (same sex females or an altered male w/a female, or altered males sometimes get along). There are some very good forums on Gliders, but they do contain members who breed so I can't link to them. There are, in some places, gliders in rescues. For a first glider, I'd make sure the rescue was aware though and able to get you a glider you can handle. Many adult gliders in rescues will not make good pets at all for those not VERY experienced with handling them. And, an aggressive glider can inflict ALOT of pain on you, trust me. At the moment I have a neutered male and female..that thankfully, were very accepting of me immediately. I got them at a little under a year old from a soldier being deployed. Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten. often has gliders available. Hey.just remembered on of the few good sites that doesn't have breeder listings on it (hopefully). (broken link removed) it has breeder to. If you can pm or email me I can give you some good links though. And , make sure where you are they are legal and you don't have plans on moving somewhere that has outlawed them. Sadly,some states have and may confiscate and kill gliders found.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
My friend had a pair as pets in highschool and they were not very social. Their fur had the texture of a Chinchilla and they wrapped their little tails around their heads like eskimos. They had a very nice set up for them but he came quickly to the conclusion that they were not proper pets. It was a shame to see them caged. I think he would agree with VJ that not all animals should be kept as pets. I believe they are banned in Maryland now. They are also hard to socialize. I would stick to guineas-there are so many that need adopting.

chinchillasunde

Cavy Slave
Just have to say that, having had a few sugargliders over the years, meeting many more, and researching them over the years..they can make awesome pets. Can be much more cuddly than Cavies, just depends on the individual animal. If you want something to be closely bonded to you, so much that they can climb all over you and not leave your body (though of course this should only be done inside).. Sugar Gliders are that kind of pet (or can be if raised right). The main problem with them not being socialized is when they come from place like petstores/bad breeders that have not started handling them (and alot) at a young age..or when they've come from homes where they were neglected or just not socialized enough. Baby sugargliders will form intense bonds with their owners. Some older gliders will bond very well also, but it can take more work. And in some areas, there are tons of Sugar Glider that need adopting as well, although as with adopting any pet it can be harder to find one more socialized (especially for a first time owner) but it is possible. There is a website online, that is a great resource..probably the largest collection of Glider rescues and information on caring for Gliders..but it is a forum that also has a small section listing reputable breeder, so I can't list it here. Might be able to find it via a search engine though if you search for Sugar Glider Rescue.

Jessi B

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the input, believe me it is greatly appreciated. I will probably wait till sometime next year (2008) after a bunch of things that are currently up in the air concerning the rest of my life settle down, school; new, better job; and new appartment. Also I would rather not have any more animals where I am currently living (moms) because I really would not feel the gliders would feel safe, lots of bird noises and four little dogs that are not exactly quiet When I finally have my own place again I will only have my 4 pigs and my cat, then I will prepare myself for the gliders. So that will put my number at 2 gliders, a cat and 4 pigs. Oh yeah and maybe boyfriend, but they deffinitely come first, if he doesn't like it oh well. Either boyfriend will have to get over it or get out. Shame if he decides the latter. He can be sweet too. lol
thanks again

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.