Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Sudden dominance

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Hello! Long time no see, school has had me busy.
two months ago I had to move apartments due to bad neighbors. (There were a couple shootings In my apartment complex) so the girls went from a 30 square feet rectangular cage in a somewhat busy room down to 27 square feet L shaped cage in a much more busy room. There might have been a little more rumbling and strutting since the move but nothing serious.
Two months ago (right before the move) I also took in 2 baby foster boys who will be going back in mid December. (That was a condition of the fostering) they are in a Midwest size cage in the kitchen, and are super well behaved albeit a little messy.
So for these past two months everything has been fine. Then last week my girls started rumbling. Luna had always been most dominant, and every once in a while someone else would do a little rumble but Luna would shut them up and maybe mount them for a sec.
For the past week Aurora (the special needs pig, a little tipsy from an ear infection long resolved but otherwise fine) has been rumbling at everything. She literally stood facing the wall rumbling at it and rocking back and forth for a good 5 minutes yesterday. When Aurora rumbles Luna and Nova rumble back, which results in a chase, and poor Aurora usually ends up running headfirst into something or one of her sisters. And if she smacks into one of her sisters that's a whole new chase.
Also whenever Aurora gets Nova going Nova (the youngest) keeps going for a good 10 minutes. Nova usually ends up trying to mount Luna, and that also results in a chase, which spooks Aurora, and usually ends when Aurora smacks into something or someone.
Stella, the former troublemaker, has wanted no part of this nonsense and usually jumps in the hay rack whenever this is happening, to the point that I put a potty pad in the side of it like a little balcony for her.
I do want to specify that there has not been any bloodshed. Besides Aurora running head first into tunnels and cage walls nobody has gotten hurt. They are well stocked on hay and water at all times.

I want to know what might have caused this. If it's because the cage got smaller why did it take 2 months for this to start? Could it be because of the boys in the next room over getting older? I don't want to do a buddy bath unless I have to since I don't wanna bathe them too often. What can/should I do to make my 4 girls (who had gotten along fine together for almost a year before this) to get along again?

TLDR: two months ago we moved and put two foster boys in the next room over, and last week my 4 sows started being very rumbley and aggressive.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
How old are these pigs and are any of them spayed?

A dramatic and continued increase of dominance behaviour in middle aged sows makes me there there is something hormonal going on.

It may be worth is to evaluate and watch for symptoms of ovarian cycts.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Luna and Stella are one year and 5 months old, Aurora is between a year old and 1 year 6 months old, and Nova is around 11 months old.

nobody is spayed, Aurora has had an ear infection in the past, Stella has had a sebaceous cyst removed a little over a month ago.
Everybody's tummy is fluffy and normal, everyone is eating and pottying properly. I will keep an eye out for varían cysts (thank you very much by the way) but it just seems super odd that (at the very least) Nova and aurora both started up at the same time.
I originally thought maybe the smell of the boys was triggering the change in behavior but no matter how clean I keep them the behavior doesn't change.
(And I want to reaffirm the boys and girls are not in contact with each other)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd have the one that does the most chasing ultrasounded to see if she has ovarian cysts.

And buddy baths aren't usually recommended for pigs that are already living together, but the shared terror might calm them down. If you do it, bathe them all at one time, not one after the other.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I know how to buddy bath, but I don't like to bathe more often than I need to.

tonight Nova has been the worse aggressor, I need to get into my safe to get everyone's vet records, but I will see if either of my 2 preferred exotics have any appointments open next week.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It won't hurt them. It's not like you're bathing them every day.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
I'll be making an appointment for either this coming Monday or the following Monday afternoon for an ultrasound. The woman who runs my local rescue works on those days and I feel more comfortable giving Nova to her than to anyone else.
Thank you everyone, so so much

Attachments

IMG_8174.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.