Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Success rate of male intros? Should we try it?

ARrescue

Cavy Slave
I run a small in-home rescue and a few weeks back, Monty came into our lives. He was housed in a TINY cage with nothing but his food bowl and a water bottle. His owner also cleaned his cage maybe once every two weeks, and didn't clean it thoroughly. He never got a bath, she never checked and cleaned his genitals, and never cleaned his ears. In short, he was a mess and also has a case of bumble foot that is improving with treatment. We had another guinea pig in the house at the time, and when she was adopted out I gave him her tunnel. He started wheeking really loudly, and it broke my heart because it was the first time he'd done it since we got him.

When he goes to a new home, I really want him to have a guinea pig companion, even if they aren't housed in the same cage. My question is, what is the likelihood two males bonding and being successfully introduced. I know it depends on personalities, and I personally think with proper precautions and careful intros, it could work, but I want to make sure I'm correct.

Thanks!

The likelihood is really good that two males can be successfully introduced. Very occasionally, a "loner" pig, either male or female, will refuse to live peacefully with another pig. And sometimes two will just seem to take a liking, or disliking to each other. Sort of like people.

The two biggest mistakes that can be made in putting pigs together are having too small a cage, and not doing introductions properly. If you aren't familiar with these already, click the Home button above for information on cage sizes, and read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the Introductions section is about halfway down.

Beyond that, some rescues offer a pig the chance to pick his or her own buddy. I haven't seen that done, but I'm sure others on here can speak to that.

Thanks for taking in that poor little guy -- hope he finds a BFF soon!

Last edited:
The fact that he was successfully housed with another male is a plus. I've had two bonded pairs of males. The first was an adult I adopted and a foster I took in. They liked each other the minute they met and I housed them together with no fuss. I currently have a senior male that lived alone and a neutered male that lived with three females. I decided to move my neutered male in with my senior male and introduce a single female to my other girls. That also worked because the males are both really docile and laid back and the females have a very obvious hierarchy that works. I hesitated moving my neutered male since I had him neutered last year but i felt bad for my single senior. I don't think he minds the change.

He hasn't been housed with another guinea pig yet, but I think his strong reaction to the smell of the female guinea pig was a good sign. Seriously, it was like he suddenly realized he wasn't the only cavy in the world, and it was really adorable. I just wanted to make sure that it was feasible because someone who has "35 years of experience" was interested in him but wouldn't consider housing him with another male. He's only been here for a few weeks, but he's my baby and I want the best for him. I may just find a male myself to try and introduce him to, rather than chancing that a future owner will be responsible about intros. Thanks for the link, I believe I did some research about intros on here before, but I'll check it out.

Here's a picture of the sweet little guy.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Success rate of male intros? Should we try it?

Attachments

Monty2.jpg
Aw, what a sweet looking piggy! I have two males that get along great. One was housed alone for almost 3 years before he found us, the other was very badly beat up by guinea pigs in his previous life but they both get along great with each other.

He's precious! I LOVE teddies!

He's precious! I LOVE teddies!

Thanks! His fur was really coarse when we got him, nothing a bath and KMS hay and pellets can't fix though. He's come a long way and I really want the best for him. The poor guy deserves it.

What a cutie! The biggest thing with boys is they need a LOT of room to live together! My guys aren't snuggle buddies yet but they are getting along now that puperty is over:melodrama! They have snuggled when Roger runs up Daniel's(sitting on the floor) shoulder to get to Huey and I(laying on the couch). He lays his little head on Huey's back and just sort of sighs and goes to sleep. It was one of those sweet moments that touches your heart! I finaly had a phone handy to snap a picture.

That is sad that the poor guinea didn't have a clean cage, and was not properly taken care of. When I hear this kind of stuff I just want to cry!:weepy: Glad you took him in, and I am sure you will have him a happy piggy in no time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.