Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing Stupid, stupid, stupid pet store!!!

ccaggiano4

Cavy Slave
I bought my first guinea pig from a mom and pop pet store (as a rule, I stay away from big box chain stores.) At the time, I didn't know about guinea pig rescues. I bought my second guinea pig from a pet store. At the time, I did know about rescues. The closest one was an hour away and because an older pig that was brought back so I thought it was more of a re-homing.

After further reading here, I can promise you all that I will NEVER, EVER buy another pet. The story that really cemented this was the retiring breeder in the midwest that was trying to get rid of 500 breeder guinea pigs. I can only imagine how many guinea pigs were born from those 500 breeders while the rescue places have 30 - 40 and are full and in dire need of supplies, adopters, foster homes etc. That disgusts me. What disgusts me more is the power that the big box stores have to help this and they do nothing.

Anyway, on to how stupid they are. When we picked out our second pig, I brought the first pig with us to double check the sex. I didn't want any "accident's." The employee determined that both pigs were female. And how did they determine this? Because they have nipples!!!

I've spent hours reading all over these boards today and one of the threads showed pic's of baby piggies, both male and female, both with nipples.

Luckily, today was the first day that they "moved in" together. It's only been about 8 hours. And my bigger girl (or guy) has been chasing the smaller girl (or guy) all day but the little one is too fast. Hopefully, nothing happened. I was so excited to have my big c & c cage. The introduction went well. But now, I am back to square one until I can get them to the vet. This really blows.

Oh yeah - and I am also going to call the pet store and let them know how wrong their employee was in using the nipples to determine the sex.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
I am glad you are calling the store to voice your opinion and refusing to buy any animals from any pet store anymore.

Also, have you determined the gender of your pigs and seperated them if necessary yet?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
There are some sexing guides here https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

Just fyi - mom and pop pet stores are often worse if not the same as the chains. Often they buy from the same breeder/pet mill like that one dumping the 500 guinea pigs. They likely sold to pet stores like the one you bought from

ccaggiano4

Cavy Slave
I put the little guy in the old pet store cage last night and today, I'll take them to the vet to sex them. I looked at the sexing pages and I am pretty sure they are both girls but I really want a pro to do it.

Something dawned on me last night...

There has got to be at least one person at the pet store that has been there long enough to sex a pig. If so, why not just let that one person do it and put the piggies in cages that are marked "boys" and "girls" It's just common sense.

Instead of calling, I am going to go down there and speak with the manager. I think it will be more effective in getting my point across by doing it face to face.

Piggynovice

Cavy Slave
Good for you. I'm glad you are taking the time to do something about the problem.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I honestly don't understand why some people find it so difficult to sex guinea pigs. My male was very obviously a male before he was neutered. He still is more obviously male even without testicles. His anal sac is much larger than the females. He also has nipples ;)

I'm glad you are double checking with the vet if you're still unsure of their gender.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Pet stores don't care. Often the buyer brings the babies back so free stock for them to sell.

And chances are the pigs are already pregnant from the breeding mill anyway.

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you're going to call them and tell them that...that shows how employee's know nothing about small animals. I would suggest separating them until you definitely know their sexes. Better safe than sorry!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.