Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Stubborn Mites

Geneva

Cavy Slave
Our pigs, especially our abyssinians, have been dealing with mites off and on for over a year. We have tried applications of ivermectin behind the ears, repeating after a week, and again a week later. That didn't seem to help. We switched to Advantage in December, and repeated the dosage in January, and that also hasn't seemed to make a difference. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Nothing seems to be working. Here is a picture of Kevin's fur - maybe these aren't mites? I'm 90% certain they are, but I could be wrong. I'm looking at the tiny, light greyish dots along the shaft of the fur. Any ideas?

[GuineaPigCages.com] Stubborn Mites

You can't see mites, or any evidence of mites except maybe scabs and redness where the pigs have scratched themselves.

I can't tell from that picture, but two possibilities are fleas (and that would be flea dirt) or lice (and those would be nits). Flea dirt will come right off, and nits have to be pulled off the hair.

Ivermectin will eventually kill either one, but it'll take several consistent doses to do it. Revolution will also kill them, but ditto the doses.

The other possibility is dandruff, and a couple of baths with Nizoral shampoo should take care of that.

I'm pretty sure our pigs have this, from Guinea Lynx:

"Cheyletiella parasitivorax, rabbit fur mites, live on the karatin layer of the skin. These large, non-burrowing mites can be found on cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, and other animals and can bite, but do not live on humans (cause small reddened, itchy spots). About .3 mm long, they are a pale yellow to white mite. Supposedly these mites are difficult to see and get their name from the fact that they look like tiny bits of dandruff crawling in the fur."

"Treatment: Thoroughly clean the living quarters and treat your guinea pigs topically with (broken link removed) at recommended doses (0.5mg/kg). Place 1/3 of the dose behind each ear and 1/3 in the rump area. Cheyletiella parasitivorax may be particularly difficult to get rid of in the home."

Guess we'll go back to the ivermectin again. Seems like these might be very difficult to get rid of.

I think I would try Revolution first.

Really? Does that work for mites? Guinea Lynx says Ivermectin, so we were thinking of trying it again on a weekly basis, cleaning the cage the day after treating each weeks.

Sometimes mites seem to be resistant to Ivermectin. Or maybe it has to do with the delivery method--was is topical, oral, or by injection? And sometimes it can take up to 5 treatments each a week apart.

Revolution should also do the trick, however. It seems to kill everything. And hopefully you would only need one dose, maybe two.

We've already got the ivermectin, so we'll try that again for six weeks (this is what the vet said to do) and if it doesn't work I'll get some Revolution. We've applied ivermectin topically in the past, both behind the ears and on their rumps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.