Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stressed Out

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Tallulah went to the vets today for an insulin curve to try and find out how much insulin roughly would be good for her and help her with diabetes. Well £80 later we find out giving her insulin was pointless for the past couple of months because it isn't affecting her what so ever. She doesnt have a curve, her insulin went up today to 5 international units and nothing...not even a dip in the blood sugar levels.

Shes now upstairs with barely any claws left :sarcastic and we are none the wiser. I am so stressed out right now, she has high glucose levels in her blood. Her veg given is practically sugarless and she seems immune to insulin! Her urine and blood tests screams diabetes along with her signs like wet bottom etc I just dont get how the insulin isn't helping her?! She has human insulin which is the best one for pigs..the vet said we could try pigs insulin but he is doubtful it would work. So shes not having any more injections for now we are justing going to keep an eye on her as I thought she had a UTI so if I see any more signs I'm to go back to Septrim...other than that I'm at a loss.

I also got him to check out a possible fungal infection but he said the amount of "dandruff" there is so little he really doubts its a fungal infection and we should just rub olive oil on it and see how it goes. He is a great vet and kept the price well down (£80 -$160- for boarding two pigs all day + insulin + blood tests every 2 hours).

Sorry it's a long rant but I'm so lost as to what to do right now, I'm just glad shes not loosing weight and shes so happy in herself. I'm also glad her wet bottom problem isn't happening any more. :melodrama

muffin

Cavy Slave
Char-x, does your pig kind of rock a bit when she breathes? I suspect my piggy has a heart problem and will be getting meds to rule it out once her current urine infection clears up. When I was at the vet he said she had higher than normal glucose in her urine, and the more I read about it the more I wonder if maybe her problem isn't her heart, but her kidneys. She is absolutely fine in every other way, eats tons, isn't losing weight, has energy, no normal heart problem symptoms except the rocking which has been seen in heart pigs. It's like she has to try a little bit harder to breath than the others.

She had a UTI before Christmas and now another so soon after with higher glucose than usual. The vet suggested diabetes might be the next thing to investigate if it doesn't clear up. She doesn't get any fruit in her diet, although they all get peppers daily.

Her belly is larger than her sister's, but firm, not slushy, but reading VG Richardson's 'Diseases of domestic guinea pigs' is freaking me out and I'm imagining all sorts.

Regarding your pig, the book does say that with diabetes, "exogenous (from outside the body I think that means) insulin is not required for survival, and spontaneous remissions are common".

That seems to be saying that the insulin won't help. However that's just one tiny bit from one book, so it would be worth her trying to find out other vet's experiences or look in other books.

Try not to feel too bad. You are doing your best and if she is completely well in all other ways, at least she is enjoying life and being spoiled rotten. Most people wouldn't have noticed enough to be doing what you are, so feel proud for that. It is frustrating to be £80 down and no further forward, but maybe you could give your vet a ring and see if she thinks it could be anything to do with kidney failure or other kidney problems which show up symptoms of diabetes? I'm just throwing up ideas, don't know if it helps at all, or if there's any basis for my theory. I'd be really interested to know if your piggy rocks at all though.

Hope you feel better. :love:

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Is your pig on medication? Glyburide/glipizide can help diabetic pigs.

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hi Muffin, I havent noticed any rocking to be honest I did keep an eye on her since I saw this post - sorry about the late reply its been chaotic here. I think I', going to try - when we have some more money, getting her kidneys and liver checked out to make sure it isn't a problem there producing more glucose.

Salana - someone on another forum mentioned this so I will definatly mention it to my vet, thanks!

rhonda_j1954

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry to hear about your little piggie being so sick. I guess I never realized all those kinds of things can happen to one little piggie.:sorry: Poor little thing. Hope you find something that will help her real soon. I can only imagine how stressed this could make you. Take care, and hope your little girl gets to feeling better real soon.:heart:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.