Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Stress and digestive upsets

Delaine

Cavy Slave
I am trying to figure out why there has been a change in Zoe's stool. It has only happened a couple of times. I have been doing journal entries every day to see if a pattern is forming. Both times there has been changes in her environment, but I have also changed the girls to KMs pellets and this has only started occuring since the pellet switch. The old pellets had several probiotics in them, which might have helped her digestion. They have been on these new pellets for just under a month. The first time it happened I made some changes to their cage, adding some strips of fleece for privacy and changed back to litter boxes. When I noticed the stool change I put everything back to the previous way. The stools returned to almost normal with a day or so. The second time was this weekend and we had company staying with us.

It usually starts out with a reduction in stool during the night and then after they have breakfast the stools become much larger and although still formed were a bit pointed or misshapened indicating something not quite right with her digestion. The first time it happened they were VERY large and not as formed and once she squeaked when passing one. This weekend they didn't get as bad as the first time, and only got larger with a pointy end. Today everything seems normal.

Zoe is a bigger girl than Abbey and her stool is always slightly larger anyways, but something is triggering the change.

Has anyone else noticed changes in stool that may be related to any changes in their environment? Could it be the pellets? She turned a year March 26th and up until now she has never been the one affected by diet. She is my big hay eater and has always been the one to walk away from the greens to return to her hay pile before her sister.

They are getting the recommended amount of greens, Timothy hay in several areas, the KMs pellets (1/4 cup for two pigs per day) and have two glass water bottles.

I would really appreciate any experiences you may be able to share.

Mine have occasional soft pellets, but I've never totally nailed down the cause.

In your case, since you've got new pellets and the old one had probiotics, have you tried adding probiotics to their diet?

I have 8 guinea pigs and all are fed the same diet. They all have different sized droppings and some are not as solid as others. I think they have different metabolisms and digestive tracts that respond differently to different foods. When I find the droppings loosening, I cut back on the veggies for a couple of days until they all get more solid again. If I have any that have soft droppings, even though I modify the diet, I take them in for a vet check to rule out other causes.

Mine have occasional soft pellets, but I've never totally nailed down the cause.

In your case, since you've got new pellets and the old one had probiotics, have you tried adding probiotics to their diet?

Thanks bpatters. Does the SIZE of your piggie's stool change? It is not so much that they are really soft, but get really bulky. I was reading some info from previous threads and some people have noted that hay with more leaf can lead to softer stool.

Have you noticed stool change in regards to stress or changes in their environment? I am a little worried because we will be going away for the weekend and a pet sitter will be coming in twice a day to take care of the girls.

Which probiotic will work best and how much should I use? I would like to use a capsule form so I can break it open and sprinkle it on their food.

I have 8 guinea pigs and all are fed the same diet. They all have different sized droppings and some are not as solid as others. I think they have different metabolisms and digestive tracts that respond differently to different foods. When I find the droppings loosening, I cut back on the veggies for a couple of days until they all get more solid again. If I have any that have soft droppings, even though I modify the diet, I take them in for a vet check to rule out other causes.

Thanks, I feel better knowing all guinea pigs don't have the perfect text book poop. I have been following Buttercup's thread from the beginning and everytime something changes with my girl's stool I panick.

You can use acidophilus for humans. Just open a capsule and sprinkle it on a piece of wet lettuce.

Some types of pellets have added probiotics, but I often wonder if they are still viable? The stuff I buy for myself has to be refrigerated.

Some pigs can have digestive upsets with stress. Certainly a change in diet can cause them, but usually things settle down.

You can use acidophilus for humans. Just open a capsule and sprinkle it on a piece of wet lettuce.

Some types of pellets have added probiotics, but I often wonder if they are still viable? The stuff I buy for myself has to be refrigerated.

Some pigs can have digestive upsets with stress. Certainly a change in diet can cause them, but usually things settle down.

I usually have Natural Factors brand probiotics in my fridge, but just threw them out. The date had expired. I will pick up some more. Thank you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.