Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Store Bought Cages

CritterLuvva

Cavy Slave
I have an idea mulling over in my head and I'd like to know if I've got the right idea in mind. First, know that I plan on housing in C&C and have been doing the research into it for permanent housing. I'm talking about temporary housing only. Here's my idea

Get a cheap/free guinea pig cage for

Isolation/Vet Cage
Traveling
I wouldn't be buying the cage from the store (far too expensive for my purposes!!), I'd prefer to get one free or for as low a price range as I could find. I would never use one of these cages for permanent residence, but it would be available to me should the need arise. I would, of course, be using an ex pen around it, which I've decided I need to get regardless. That way the guinea pig would have as much room as possible.

Am I on the wrong track here? What would you recommend?

I got a pet store cage for free when I bought Amy (from Craigslist). Although I was going to throw it out, my husband pointed out that we should keep it for reasons like those you mentioned so it now resides out in the garage. If you can get one for free, I think it would be a good idea. I also figure it will be good for putting the piggies temporarily if we have to hole up in a small room because of a hurricane or tornado. I doubt you have to worry about hurricanes in Mich. but a small cage for use during potential tornado emergencies might also be handy.

I prefer a cat carrier for traveling. It's just sturdier in case of an accident/sudden braking. You can always use grids to section the main cage into a smaller area in case of injury, and it's too small, really, for quarantine. However, if it's free, maybe as an emergency backup it would be OK.

I prefer a cat carrier for traveling. It's just sturdier in case of an accident/sudden braking. You can always use grids to section the main cage into a smaller area in case of injury, and it's too small, really, for quarantine. However, if it's free, maybe as an emergency backup it would be OK.

I like cat carriers,too. They even have ones that open from the top!

There doesn't seem to be many reasons to use a pet store cage as a temporary solution. I wouldn't waste my time getting one.

@mufasa Excellent point. If I get a guinea pig from Craig's List ever, I would have it then... if I still needed it.

Why is a guinea pig cage too large for travel? I was thinking they might need space for more comfortable travel, but if the danger is that it could more easily hurt the guinea pig, I can totally understand that. I'm not positive, I just got done giving a whole bunch of stuff away, but I think I might have a cat carrier. If I don't, I could always try to get one of those for free/cheap instead.

Another thing I was thinking, though, is staying at a friend/relative's place during a visit. I'd like to have the option of taking them with me. Wouldn't a cat carrier be too small for that purpose?

As far as a laundry basket is concerned... I don't get how that's safe. If something happened, wouldn't a guinea pig fly out of it?

"As you become a cavy slave, you will see what works and doesn't work and will probably want to redesign things anyway."

That's what I'm counting on, but for now I only have what I learn. I'm working on getting together what I'll need- I don't have any of my own piggies to draw any experience from- yet!

When transporting an animal the main thing to remember is to restain them. An unrestrained pet in the car is a distraction that can cause an accident. If an accident is about to happen, you need to control the car, not be worried over the animal. When properly restrained, the animal shouldn't be able to move very much; they could bounce around inside a large cage and be injured that way. A carrier of the correct size will limit how much they bounce around inside it in an accident or in case of sudden braking.

For travel where you intend to spend the night, I'd suggest taking grids loosely zip tied so you can fold them into a nice square, a shower curtain liner, and a cage liner. All these things are small enough to transport, set up, and tear down easily and compactly. Unless you;re planning to be gone a significant length of time, it's best just to leave your piggie home where he/she is comfy. I made up ziplock bags of salad and veggies, and written instructions for hay and water, and left for 5 days. Everything went very smoothly, but then again, I had a pet savvy friend stopping in to check my pig.

Hope this helps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.