Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Store bought cage, need ideas for decorating

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
Hi, everyone! I'm still a bit of a new guinea pig only, only had my Cinnamon about three months. I have a store-bought cage from Petco (large size HERE ). I need some ideas in cage decorating. The cage is half fleece bedding, and the other half is some paper bedding, and a litter bin that I use to put hay in. I feel like I want to make the cage bigger, but I only have one piggy, so I don't think size is an issue, but I just really want to decorate more, so please give some suggestions lol I will keep the cage half bedding, half fleece.

Pictures of your cages are also welcome!

Edited by bpatters: This site promotes appropriate-sized cages for guinea pigs. Unfortunately, this cage does not meet the minimum standards, and pictures can't be displayed.

View attachment 62477 View attachment 62478 View attachment 62479

ALSO: The cage is supposed to use this platform thing but I didn't like it because she'd always hide behind it. Any suggestions about including it and not including it? It takes up rather a lot of space and my GP likes to hide in the dark space!

OLD PICTURES

View attachment 62480 View attachment 62481

Last edited by a moderator:

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Any store bought cage is too small for even 1 guinea pig. The best type of cage to get is from the cage store here, or you can learn how to build a c & c cage. I started with a cage store cage and it took me 4 months until I found this site to learn it was way too small for her health and happiness. I bought my cage with fleece flippers from the store here on this site. Or plenty of folks here can tell you how to make your own. I would highly suggest looking to upgrade.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Here are some pics of my gp's cage. Bigger is better. 2 x 3 C & C cage is minimum for 1 gp, but I got her 2 x 4. See the cage store here for the lingo.

IMG 0296 IMG 0292 IMG 0295

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
your cage is nice lol

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
Any store bought cage is too small for even 1 guinea pig. The best type of cage to get is from the cage store here, or you can learn how to build a c & c cage. I started with a cage store cage and it took me 4 months until I found this site to learn it was way too small for her health and happiness. I bought my cage with fleece flippers from the store here on this site. Or plenty of folks here can tell you how to make your own. I would highly suggest looking to upgrade.

I have been considering an upgrade, but it has been too much money for now. My guinea pig is still very young, and I take her out every single day to run around. Unfortunately, I had bought her from Petco and that was one cage they recommended. I will have to replace in the future (space also being a little bit of an issue) and I am always looking at C&C cages :p

Ahmose Inarus

Cavy Slave
My boys have a pet store cage where I put them if I need to, but most of their time is spent in their playpen in my living room. I can't get a C&C cage right now, I need something that can be disassembled and moved around (and able to change shape) easily. In this case, I just lay out a shower curtain, some puppy pads and then a fleece blanket over it!!! This is the easiest (and cheapest) way I have found until I am able to get a C&C cage!

IMG 1821

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
My boys have a pet store cage where I put them if I need to, but most of their time is spent in their playpen in my living room. I can't get a C&C cage right now, I need something that can be disassembled and moved around (and able to change shape) easily. In this case, I just lay out a shower curtain, some puppy pads and then a fleece blanket over it!!! This is the easiest (and cheapest) way I have found until I am able to get a C&C cage!

View attachment 62485

Ohh, that's really smart AND the fact that you put it in the corner which means you don''t have to use so much for the cage!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You can always make room for your guinea pigs you just may need to move things around. My c&c cage is in my kitchen a lot of people have been very creative at cage placement. You just need to use your imagination. Some people have even made cages like furniture sorta like a combo between a table and a cage. That's one of the perks of building your own cage your limit is your imagination.

Ahmose Inarus

Cavy Slave
Ohh, that's really smart AND the fact that you put it in the corner which means you don''t have to use so much for the cage!

Uhhhh... Don't do that anymore. I bought a second playpen so it's completely closed in. My boys figured out how to escape. Got home from work one day and Deimos was sitting in the middle of the room, just staring at me.

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
hahahahha! Okay, then, i guess I won't be trying that! Good thing nothing bad happened!

Moon squeak

Cavy Slave
I also have a pet store cage. Its just what I have till taxes right now, and even after getting a CandC cage for down stairs, I will still use this one for when the upstairs as the upstairs just isn't much room, and then they can be with us no matter where we are.

One of the first challenges to having a pet store cage, is to not take away from any running room. Keep it all open and still provide hidey places.... Walls = take away run room. So having anything that creates a wall, like igloo hidey places and other hut tupe pet homes, are not a good idea. When you have the large space that the cages here provide, those huts are okay. But working with little room to roam, its best to keep an open space. Now I know its not the best set up in the world, but its making what you have workable and happy till you can get a propper cage. This is what I did. I went to walmart and got cheap on sale fleece. Always have my eye out on the sale racks for it. I cut it to fit around the top of the cage and down most of the side, leaving a slit between fabric and tray for air flow. Then I cut a piece to put go down through the top (it has a top door as well as side door) and cut fringe into that part. That way when the fringe is dirty, I can just take the front off to wash. I made sure the fabric was wider then the space I needed so that I could cut 2 "fringe" at the corners and sides where it must attatch. You just simply tie it, only doing double knot. You want it tight enouph to stay, but easy to undo to clean too. Now I will tell you, it doesn't look as nice as what they sell here. Not even close. And its not near as easy as to detatch and attatch for cleaning. So not ideal for us humans to deal with, but the piggies like it. And until you can get what they sell here, (and its a great price, I can't wait till I can order mine...) What this does, is it gives them a hidey place. and it takes no run space away from them. They can hide, or run all over the place and through it. No walls. I took fleace and tied eack corner (by cutting tie slits in the corners) on top of the litter for most of the cage space. The middle of it is loos enouph to relax in the middle on the floor, but tight enouph to not be able to bunch up around a pig and get hurt. When they pee on it. it goes through the fleece and into the litter, so its not sitting in it all day till you get home. Also, the piggies can run all over on top of the fleece with the WHOLE space in the cage to run... Or they can burrow under the fleece and run around or walk around under the fleece. It also serves as another hidey place and they realy seem to like that. I do have a kitten bed in mine, but it takes a lot to keep up. Needs washed everyday and you have to work ANYTHING out of it, via, litter, poop, hair.... not ideal, but they like it. Keeping the food in the litter area keeps more of the poop and pee (not all of it) more in the litter area. I learned that from C&C cages. That was a life saver for me in keeping a lot of it off the fleece. I have a fleece blanket that is also folded on top of the cage so that when people wallk by them, they don't feel towerd over. That scares them and they run for cover. One more thing you can do is, with these cages, you can get them used fairly cheap. You can get a second, and cut a hole on the wire or the tray and put a tube in it. Then they have two to go back and forth from. This is something I have seen, not done myself on the tube. My upstairs isn't big enouph to allow it to happen. Someone would get hurt tripping over cages.

It was very cool to me to see some of the ideas I had for cats I used to have and do be thought of for GP! I never would have thought that you could do this for piggies. Like, when we traveled, I would make fringe just like this with old t-shirts to put in the door so that if kitty wanted to look out, she could. But if she was scared, she could be closed in without anyone spying on her and she felt more secure. I would also make hammics with old t-shirts by cutting them in the corners and tying them up high in a carrier and then putting the potty box under it. Kitty didn't have to be next to potty box or lay in it or potty in bed, she would just lay in her hammic and when its time for potty, the hammic being cloth would move up on her back while doin duty. Didn't need a big space while making it feel like one. Kept hanging dishes by the hammic and tied a toy up high too. This basicly does about the same thing. Although the cage site here had better ideas in making this stuff much easier to undo and redo. Anyway, sorry this is so long, but just wanted to share how to keep a small space open and still give them what they need....

Last edited by a moderator:

Moon squeak

Cavy Slave
Oh and I have several little square fleece pieses just sitting on the red fleece that way they have something to throw around too..... and wow, these pics make my cage look a lot smaller then what it is, I swear it, lol They can run over the kitty bed and run over the square pieces... so it still doesn't take away run space....

pigger123

Cavy Slave
A 2x3 C&C cage doesn't take up too much space, and you can make one for less than $35. You said a cage upgrade was too much money, but if you can't afford that how would you pay for vet care if your pig became ill?

GuineaGirl1

Cavy Slave
I have had my guinea pigs since the end of august now. I used the following hutch for them (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/outdoor-guinea-pig/guinea-pig-den-hutch?pageSize=20#) It was absolutely fine and i had two. I also have a run for them. I then got a bigger hutch for them because i needed a double hutch and now my guinea pigs have lots of room. I think that, personally, that cage is fine but when your guinea pig gets bigger it may be worth investing in a bigger one.

For the decorating bit, guinea pigs are quite content with hay, food and water. I put a tunnel and a jingly ball in there. I think you should think of a theme maybe. For example lepoard print, zebra, pink ,green etc.

Have fun doing it anyway.

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
A 2x3 C&C cage doesn't take up too much space, and you can make one for less than $35. You said a cage upgrade was too much money, but if you can't afford that how would you pay for vet care if your pig became ill?

Well, if my piggy was ill, that'd have to be taken care of ASAP! That's a different situation in my opinion. The upgrade doesn't need to be too immediate- she does get taken out a lot and so I felt I wanted to upgrade her cage, but it's not an immediate problem. And thank you for the advice!

Moon squeak

Cavy Slave
Well, if my piggy was ill, that'd have to be taken care of ASAP! That's a different situation in my opinion. The upgrade doesn't need to be too immediate- she does get taken out a lot and so I felt I wanted to upgrade her cage, but it's not an immediate problem. And thank you for the advice!

If something happens, you would take good care I think. We are all that way. Paying rent or what ever is more important, but if illness happens, you can make payments to catch up on it. Thats what just happened to me. I can take care of another piggy, no problem. Soon enouph taxes will be in, and another, bigger cage will happen. And then it turns out the second piggy is most likely a she, meaning thats money to get one fixed... And while trying to figure out what checks that money will come from, I find out that now I have a vet bill coming, AND now I needed to get this medicine. After getting that, I need to get a scale that I forgot to get tonight. So now I am going to figure out the van payment and I need new tires before one blows, they are so thin. So in telling this, yes, its different, I couldn't agree more!!!! Money doesn't grow on trees. Many people don't have $10 bucks extra. Many just barely make it. But they make it, and their pets make it. And they are good pet owners. And thats okay. And if something happens that means a beloved pet needs a doctor... you figure it out.... But spending money when you don't have it makes it so you can not help them when they need it. I have been homeless in the car with my pets before. They got the care they needed, they ate, they had shelter from the weather... Warm blankets, They went out side, walks through the park, enjoyed lots of days at the lake.... But you know what, I don't think they knew we were homeless. They thought we were on a realy long trip that didn't drive much, lol.... Animals realy don't think the same as people do. To them, they can make a cave home and be happy, they don't feel a need for our idea of hoimes. My pets and I have been through good times and bad. We are family to the end. They have never been hungry, never not had a need met. As a matter of a fact, while we were homeless, my dog, Feora, cut one of her feet wide open on a broken glass she stepped on. I had her in a vets office right away getting stitches. That vet let me make payments and she healed realy well. So, what I'm saying, is even with no money, you can still be a good pet owner if you want to be. If something happens, you find a way to fix it. Its better for a pet to have someone that loves them and cares for them, even when minor things are not perfect, then to have a family with money who keeps their dog tied to a tree in the back yard, or lets the caged pets live dirty. If I would have given my girls up, they could have been put down in the pound by now, starving in a basckyard... I would stay up at night worrying. Anyway, I'm rambling in my tired state waiting for Walking Dead to come on. I just felt the need to explain my view and that it pays to understand that a pet that has a good home is a good thing even when things are not perfect. So many out there that doesn't have a good home, or any home and would prefer the loving imperfect home, over what they have. My home isn't perfect. But my pets are cared about. And thats what I remember when someone somewhere isn't doing what I think they should. I have to remember that about myself, so that I can understand them.... After all, its a lot easier to judge someone, then it is to understand them......

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave
If something happens, you would take good care I think. We are all that way. Paying rent or what ever is more important, but if illness happens, you can make payments to catch up on it. Thats what just happened to me. I can take care of another piggy, no problem. Soon enouph taxes will be in, and another, bigger cage will happen. And then it turns out the second piggy is most likely a she, meaning thats money to get one fixed... And while trying to figure out what checks that money will come from, I find out that now I have a vet bill coming, AND now I needed to get this medicine. After getting that, I need to get a scale that I forgot to get tonight. So now I am going to figure out the van payment and I need new tires before one blows, they are so thin. So in telling this, yes, its different, I couldn't agree more!!!! Money doesn't grow on trees. Many people don't have $10 bucks extra. Many just barely make it. But they make it, and their pets make it. And they are good pet owners. And thats okay. And if something happens that means a beloved pet needs a doctor... you figure it out.... But spending money when you don't have it makes it so you can not help them when they need it. I have been homeless in the car with my pets before. They got the care they needed, they ate, they had shelter from the weather... Warm blankets, They went out side, walks through the park, enjoyed lots of days at the lake.... But you know what, I don't think they knew we were homeless. They thought we were on a realy long trip that didn't drive much, lol.... Animals realy don't think the same as people do. To them, they can make a cave home and be happy, they don't feel a need for our idea of hoimes. My pets and I have been through good times and bad. We are family to the end. They have never been hungry, never not had a need met. As a matter of a fact, while we were homeless, my dog, Feora, cut one of her feet wide open on a broken glass she stepped on. I had her in a vets office right away getting stitches. That vet let me make payments and she healed realy well. So, what I'm saying, is even with no money, you can still be a good pet owner if you want to be. If something happens, you find a way to fix it. Its better for a pet to have someone that loves them and cares for them, even when minor things are not perfect, then to have a family with money who keeps their dog tied to a tree in the back yard, or lets the caged pets live dirty. If I would have given my girls up, they could have been put down in the pound by now, starving in a basckyard... I would stay up at night worrying. Anyway, I'm rambling in my tired state waiting for Walking Dead to come on. I just felt the need to explain my view and that it pays to understand that a pet that has a good home is a good thing even when things are not perfect. So many out there that doesn't have a good home, or any home and would prefer the loving imperfect home, over what they have. My home isn't perfect. But my pets are cared about. And thats what I remember when someone somewhere isn't doing what I think they should. I have to remember that about myself, so that I can understand them.... After all, its a lot easier to judge someone, then it is to understand them......

Wow, that was an inspiring post (read all of it!)!!! Quite a story!! Well, I figured out that I can connect a cheaper standard 2x3 cage with the one I have now, save money for later! It'll only be about $60 ish instead of the $120 I would have spent! Thanks for all your advice- you deserve my appreciation :love:

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
Wow, that was an inspiring post (read all of it!)!!! Quite a story!! Well, I figured out that I can connect a cheaper standard 2x3 cage with the one I have now, save money for later! It'll only be about $60 ish instead of the $120 I would have spent! Thanks for all your advice- you deserve my appreciation :love:

You can make a large cage for $35 or less. See this post for the places to get materials.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...n-c-amp-c-cage?p=846920&viewfull=1#post846920

MadrigalsRule

Cavy Slave

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yes there are many alternative cages out there. The alternative cages gallery is a good place for alternative cage ideas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.