Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Storage bin cages

tyanna

Cavy Slave
Hi!

I have one piggy in a 2x3 Christmas tree storage bin. I have come to find out that it's actually significantly smaller than 2x3 grid cages, instead of only a few inches smaller.
I now plan to connect another bin with PVC piping to add more floor space.

has anyone ever done this with storage bins?

Ive heard piggies shouldn't be kept alone, so I hope to not hear that here in this thread. I'm working on adding a second piggie which is why I'm trying to definitely give he adequate space for not only one but two.

Sparklederp

Cavy Slave
You will want to be extra careful about cleanliness and ventilation if you choose to keep your pigs in bins, as they are prone to URI. I had two females in a 5' by 3' knockoff sterilite bin when I was a child and they did fine in it, but I cleaned it 3x a week and gave them a lot of out-of-the-cage time.

tyanna

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I keep the covers off, for ventilation, and plan to continue that. I will be washing fleece 1-2 times a week but cleaning the actual bin more than that. :) Mine will also have lots of out of cage time once she warms up to us.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Storage bins are totally inadequate cages for guinea pigs. PVC piping gets really yucky with pee and poop, and if you do get another pig, it's just an invitation to squabble.

C&C cages can be made very cheaply. You may be able to find grids on Craigslist or Kijiji or some other swaps site. You can use an old shower curtain instead of coroplast. Your pig deserves a bigger cage with better ventilation, and also a guinea pig friend.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
A cheap soldering iron can be used to melt vent strips along the sides. It works far better than trying to cut the plastic. The soldering iron just isn't good for anything else but melting plastic after that. Guinea pigs do need lots of ventilation since they pee a lot compared to other animals. They also need enough running room. I'm not sure 2 bins connected by pipe would allow for fast enough running. It works great for gerbils but gerbils are much much smaller than guinea pigs and more athletic. Bricks on legs need more length and width compared to body size in order to exercise and popcorn. Bins are also often slanted toward the bottom and curved. Even if it's a small amount if the top center dimensions (which is what's usually on the label) is 2x3' it will be quite a bit smaller useful space beyond being smaller than 2x3 grids. You have to measure the inside, bottom carefully when adjusting for size.

tyanna

Cavy Slave
It's reqlly unfortunate that I've come across some people that seem a bit rude. I mentioned I'm working on getting a second piggy, and that it's not part of this thread. I understand they need a partner and I stated I was getting one. No need to beat a dead horse.

I know my piggy deserves a bigger cage and that's why I'm expanding. I don't see why it's "inadequate" for piggies, actually. It's not closed, it's just as open as a a C&C cage. I would really like to learn why this is inadequet.

im not trying to be rude or anything, I'm new to this and im not trying to argue with the "experts" but some people have come off as really unfriendly with responses.

Last edited:

tyanna

Cavy Slave
A cheap soldering iron can be used to melt vent strips along the sides. It works far better than trying to cut the plastic. The soldering iron just isn't good for anything else but melting plastic after that. Guinea pigs do need lots of ventilation since they pee a lot compared to other animals. They also need enough running room. I'm not sure 2 bins connected by pipe would allow for fast enough running. It works great for gerbils but gerbils are much much smaller than guinea pigs and more athletic. Bricks on legs need more length and width compared to body size in order to exercise and popcorn. Bins are also often slanted toward the bottom and curved. Even if it's a small amount if the top center dimensions (which is what's usually on the label) is 2x3' it will be quite a bit smaller useful space beyond being smaller than 2x3 grids. You have to measure the inside, bottom carefully when adjusting for size.

thank you for your information. the sides in a Christmas tree storage bin and quite shorter than your regular tote bin.. So I'm truly not sure if it's even beneficial or possible to try and cut openings and place some type of mesh on the side. With a lot of out of cage time, would the "running" issue be as big of an issue before? Like I said before, I'm not trying to argue. I'm a sponge when learning about new animals and like to ask questions out of curiosity, not for a way around a longer cage.

tyanna

Cavy Slave
I got my piggy on Saturday, and I plan to make these changes NOW, which is why I'm asking questions.. I feel like im being talk down on for inquiring and wanting to learn and asking questions. I'm sorry if I took a post the wrong way but some have seemed a bit unfriendly, like I don't want to take care of my piggy.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I would honestly wait until you can build a C&C cage to upgrade. Not long, but a few days won't kill her. I think building a C&C would be easier than trying to rig plastic bins together. Trust me, you'd lose the pvc pipe anyway after you had to clean it. Tunnels and such get really nasty, really quickly.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
No one means to be short or sound rude to you, we are mostly just blunt and to the point. Even two bins put together will be lacking in space somehow. A 2x3 is 28x42 inches, however you put the two together, it will be lacking. I had four boars in a 3x6 which is a 84x42 and still had arguments to where I split it in half and them into pairs. There is so many alternative cages you ca make that's cheap like grids.

gpiggies

Cavy Slave
^ Wow, I've never seen that option but that's pretty cool.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
hey! check your inbox :)

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I have a swimming pool cage for my girls, too. A few years back I considered making a cage out of under-bed storage bins, which have low sides that wouldn't impair ventilation, but I had great luck with using a pool as a floor time pen so that's what I went with as a permanent cage when I moved to a house with more floor space. The girls love it. I have a litter box under the water bottle so the bedding doesn't get messy (Carefresh over newspaper).