Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Stopped wheeking?

shc1192

Cavy Slave
I have 2 boars. Normally, Brego, the younger one, is very loud and active, and Shadowfax, the older one, is the quieter one. However, for the past 24 hours Brego hasn't been wheeking as much as he usually does. Typically, any time anyone talks to him or gives them food or hay he is wheeking up a storm and popcorning, but he hasn't been. Additionally, they live in a C&C cage with a loft, and Brego has been staying on the loft and not coming down except on occasion to drink and then he goes right back up. They get along and to my knowledge they have not gotten in any fights, although they did recently seem to officially settle on who was the dominant boar (it took them quite a while) and it is Shadowfax.
Anyway, I'm just wondering if this is reason for concern? Brego is still eating food and hay, drinking, pooping, peeing, sleeping, and putting his front paws on the cage so he can "stand up" to greet you when you come near the cage, just no wheeking and doesn't want to go downstairs. He has no visible signs of illness, although I know they hide it well. :\

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
My Cody is doing the EXACT same thing. Maybe the answer to yours is the answer to mine.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Can anyone answer this topic? I wanna see whats the matter. :p

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Keep a close eye on him but if he is otherwise normal then maybe he and his buddy had a "tiff" you are not aware of and he's staying away.

Or maybe he's going through puberty of something since he is young.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry about it. They wheek, and sometimes they don't wheek. I have two, and one, Flourish, is the designated wheeker. She wheeks loud and long, and is very insistent about food. Any noise in the kitchen is enough to set her off. But she's a determined bar-chewer, and I put plexiglass inside the cage to keep her from breaking her teeth. And she quit wheeking! It took about four or five days for her to start again, but then she was back to her loud normal self.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
So We shouldnt worry about it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

shc1192

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry about it. They wheek, and sometimes they don't wheek. I have two, and one, Flourish, is the designated wheeker. She wheeks loud and long, and is very insistent about food. Any noise in the kitchen is enough to set her off. But she's a determined bar-chewer, and I put plexiglass inside the cage to keep her from breaking her teeth. And she quit wheeking! It took about four or five days for her to start again, but then she was back to her loud normal self.

Thank you so much!! :]

shc1192

Cavy Slave
Keep a close eye on him but if he is otherwise normal then maybe he and his buddy had a "tiff" you are not aware of and he's staying away.

Or maybe he's going through puberty of something since he is young.

Yeah Brego has definitely been going through puberty, and like I said they recently (as in last week) seemed to officially decide that Shadowfax was the dominant one so maybe Brego's a bit put off by that. Everything else seems normal and he had floor time and I held him and he seemed just fine other than not wheeking. I'll keep an eye and try not to worry too much! Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.