Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Stinky Fleece after washing? Not wicking the pee away? LOOK HERE!!!

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
Ok, we all know (I hope!) that using fabric softener on Piggy Fleece, isn't a good thing. 1: for the chemicals and 2: It interferes with the absorbency of the soaker pad underneath, and it interferes with the wicking properties of the fleece (It's what keeps our piggies dry after a pee)

Now, I have extensive experience (Well 2 kids worth isn't really "extensive"...but maybe the total of 8 years between them is) cloth diapering.

I learned that if the fleece gets stinky (Fleece liners are used primarily in diapering to keep the baby's skin dry especially at night) a good stripping is in order.

See, if you use your dryer, you probably use dryer sheets, this causes a buildup in your dryer drum. So even if you don't use dryer sheets/fabric softener with your piggy bed, tossing it in the dryer will get minute amounts on it. After a while, it builds up, and then you get THE STINK. (I guess it'll be worse if you have boars and their stank...because it won't go away)

Instead of pitching your fleece, try this:

Step 1: Fill your washer with HOT water, pure hot water...
Step 2: Add about 1-2 cups white vinegar.
Step 3: soak for a bit
Step 4: Wash as normal.
Step 5: Hang to dry.

This should work to get rid of the fabric softener build up on your fleece, thereby saving you from pitching it, and getting more (saving you money! saving money is good right? means more veggies for the piggies)

You should do this every few washes to keep the build up from getting too bad. It's also a good way to kill any resistant bacteria that might be in there.

This should also work for your Cozies and Cuddle cups too. Anything that pee is soaked up in, should be stripped on a regular basis to keep their absorbent qualities intact longer.

This is great, thank you. My blankets and pads seem to stink no matter how I wash them, but I have not tried vinegar. I will be trying this tonight. I'm sure my piggies will love to have fresh fleece once again.

I use a cup of vinegar plus an additional pre-soak and I don't have a problem with smell. I did not know that the dryer sheets from previous loads could still leave a residue on the fleece. Good to know! Thanks. :)

Every few weeks I soak my fleece in an absurd amount of vinegar and rinse it out very well. I actually don't even use fabric sheets/liquid on my regular clothes! Doesn't seem necessary.

Bumping up for the "Stinky Fleece" posts :D

I make sure I never overload the washer and wash it on the heavy duty cycle with a cup of vinegar and the regular amount of laundry detergent I use in my regular loads. I stop the cycle once the washer fills and allow it to soak for at least an hour if it's smelly. I wash my fleece on the warm water cycle and always dry it in the dryer since I have fleece pads with a single layer of uhaul padding in the middle.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.