Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Sticky fur and a bump on the back?

violettedream

Cavy Slave
Hi There,

I've been poking around here the last few days. I guess maybe a few have seen my intro thread. I just adopted a five year old male piggie.

Anyways, I was letting him explore with me when he turned his back to me, on his back there seemed to a sticky substance. I thought that was odd and looked at a little closer. There feels like there is a bump, but I couldn't really tell if it was bump on the skin. I did look and I am pretty sure it is a bump in the skin.I He's still a little jumpy and I could tell I was making him unnerved. So I've placed him back in his pen. It was sticky and made my fingers smell "off" (not horrible but I couldn't place it) He doesn't seem to be bothered by it, nor did he sound in pain when I was trying to check it...he seemed like he was simply annoyed more then in pain (if that makes any sense)

So I tried to searched for answers, but as you can see I have very little to go on.

But I am hoping some of you more experienced piggie lovers can help, maybe I've given a hint of what it is. Or how I can go about checking for more clues with out scaring him (remember he's been with me less the 12 hours) OR frankly just tell me I am being paranoid over nothing.

Can you describe what it looks like (in detail), and where it is on the pig? agreeing with ellisa its most likely the grease gland and needs to be cleaned.

@ellisa I think that might be it. It is in the right spot. To me it looks a lot like the first picture on the top.

@OMIPIGGIE - It's where the grease gland is. And looks a lot the picture seen here: https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html#grease_gland the hair around it just feels sticky and greasy

I will let him play for a bit more then I will see if I can clean it see if that helps.

I kinda feel like I was over reacting. But I will keep you updated.

Thanks for the help (and if there is any other advice please share!)

Your welcome, and if it was me I would try building more trust with him before trying to clean it.

It's easy to clean. Just rub some coconut oil on the area. It usually loosens the gunk pretty well, sometimes taking off some of the really gunky fur (which is fine). You can leave the coconut oil in, or wash it out with Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Sometimes when moving to a new place a pig's grease gland gets really active. Some pigs just have more active ones than others.

I've decided not to bathe him tonight, however I did look it over, and that's exactly what it is! So Thanks for the help.

I did bring him in to the bathroom and let him explore the sink - and just sort of let him hang around in it for a bit. His previous owner gave me a toothbrush she use to brush him with and he really liked that (first time I've heard really happy noises out of him.) And now he's getting some veggies in his cage.

Now that I know it's not life threatening (what is a new mom to think? lol) I'm calmer and it's not so urgent to do something about it. I'll do the "dry run" a few more times and let him get comfy with me before I add water.

Thanks again for calming my nerves! (and not thinking I was over reacting!) I'm really glad to have found these forums!

Love from me and Twix
Sticky fur and a bump on the back?

No worries! He is so cute!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.