Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Stick with what I got or go fleece?

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Currently my bedding is kiln-dried pine shavings(hes been on it all his life) sprinkled with his hay and (broken link removed)

I love this because every 2 days I can scoop out pee and poo inside his hut/add more shavings n deorderizer bedding(the soft-sorbent).

I also hate it because every month I'm dumping all the bedding and it takes a bit of my energy. I put Whistles in run pin (of which has to get set up 1st), take out his hut(or igloo and tube, of which then leads to the igloo getting soaked in hot water/soap), remove the top part of the cage, then carry the huge bottom part out the door, down the stairs to a dumpster down the road, dump the bedding, scrap off bedding stuck to the bin, dump the rest out, walk back upstairs, put everything back together and pass out on the chair.

Doesn't seem like much, but carrying the bottom piece to and back is what gets me.

I'd like to try the fleece, but my issue is, do you replace the fleece every 2 days, or do you layer fleece where they usually potty? OR do you litter train them? I wouldn't mind trying to litter train Whistles.

I put one layer of fleece over 2 layers of high quality double sided terry cloth. Got both from a fabric store. I sweep/vacuum the poops every 2 days or so, and wash the whole shbang in the washer once a week. I have enough fleece/terry for 2 switches, so one week on one week off...

Make sure you wash your fleece a few times before putting it in, that way it wicks the moisture away. It will save you money in the long run for sure, even if you're stuck using a laundromat.

I think the only down side to using fleece is, fabric softener build up after a bit, because even though you shouldn't use dryer sheets/fabric softener on the fleece/bedding (chems aren't good for the piggies and they cause the fleece to repel) The ones you use in your dryer can cause a buildup and when you dry the fleece it builds up too...so a regular stripping using white vinegar and hot water will do the trick.

Fleece is SO MUCH better than disposable bedding. I figure I cloth diapered my children when they were younger, I have zero problems using cloth for my pigges, for the same reason :D.

You can get Tidy mats to put over the fleece where they pee more often. Such as this View Cage Liners/ Tidy Mats by CobbCabinCrafts on Etsy and (broken link removed)

I change their main fleece and towels every week, but I change the potty pads twice a week. When I take the main fleece and towels out, I just wipe it down with a vinegar solution before adding clean stuff back in. Easy peas.

You do have to shake the fleece outside, or use a vacuum to make sure hay pieces are out before washing. Alternatively, a rubber pet broom such as this: (broken link removed)

BTW, I'm thinking about bedding for the bigger cage, which is why I'm wondering if I should change or stay the same.

I used aspen shavings way back when. I haven't looked back since I changed to fleece. LOVE having fleece. :)

My only other issue is if he decides to nom the fabric.
I have 2 fleece blankets of my own and he noms them when I let him play on them.
Will he get used to the fleece and stop nomming?

I don't get it! What's the problem with dumping the whole mess in an oversized garbage bag and carrying that out to the dumpster? :rolleyes: You can then use a spray bottle with a mixture of vinegar and water to clean and sanitize the plastic part of the cage.

What do you mean by "nomming"?

Because
1 I don't have a trash can large enough
2 I don't always have someone to hold open to garbage bag
3 no matter what I always end up cleaning the house before the cage, so I get a bit annoyed when bedding ends up on my just cleaned floors
4 im allergic to what ever involves my guinea pig. it is better on me to have his stuff flying around outside than it is to have it flying around the house.

nomming as in mouthing, chewing, sucking, etc

Does he chew holes in the blankets and eat the fabric? When I clean the pigs fleece tunnels and such, they do taste it. As long as they're not biting pieces off I wouldn't worry about it too much. Mine don't chew on the fleece because it's clipped to the coroplast smoothly. That can also help.

Does he chew holes in the blankets and eat the fabric? When I clean the pigs fleece tunnels and such, they do taste it. As long as they're not biting pieces off I wouldn't worry about it too much. Mine don't chew on the fleece because it's clipped to the coroplast smoothly. That can also help.

I may try that. Get some binder clips and smooth it out. I always pick him up when he noms on the blankets, so I'm not sure if he'd chew holes into them.

So I've read https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/21568/

From what I've gathered I should wash and dry the fleece atleast 3 times before using.
And when using I should have a layer or 2 underneath the fleece? What layering do you use for your fleece bedding?(starting from the bottom of a freshly cleaned cage)

First read the "fleece project" sticky on this site, VERY helpful. Tip, not all fleece is absorbant, even after washing multiple times to prepare, look online to see what type of fleece they recommend, the polar and anti-pill, and see what it looks like, they market tons of stuff under fleece and it's not really good fleece. I love that it's much cheaper and i made piggie comforters so it's all sewn together, just throw it in there, no fastening, etc. My pigs eat everything BUT the fleece, so maybe try some and see! :)

double sided terry cloth...

First read the "fleece project" sticky on this site, VERY helpful. Tip, not all fleece is absorbant, even after washing multiple times to prepare, look online to see what type of fleece they recommend, the polar and anti-pill, and see what it looks like, they market tons of stuff under fleece and it's not really good fleece. I love that it's much cheaper and i made piggie comforters so it's all sewn together, just throw it in there, no fastening, etc. My pigs eat everything BUT the fleece, so maybe try some and see! :)

I posted about 15 mins earlier than you saying I read the thread.....:expressio

That must be a "mom" term? You can tell that I never had children. :eek: No need for a trash can, just buy the 56gal. trash bags (I buy the clear) and it *should* fairly easily dump into it. Personally, I'd rather do an extra round with the vacuum than stress my back.

Nope, ive never had children. Unless I can count my animals as my children.

Anyhow, like I posted before. I don't always have someone to hold open the bag.

Sorry, i see it now. I also have some pics in my album of how i set up litter boxes upstairs in the kitchen. I read they like to munch hay and do their business for hours a day, so i set up the litter boxes under the hayrack and they trained themselves!! The rest of the kitchen stays pretty darn clean and i just change the boxes every two days or so, depending on smell, you wouldn't believe how much they use them!! What MissJean said about pads under thier hideys, etc, is great also. I sewed them pads under there so i can change them more often and not change the whole thing more than every week or so. Plus, especially for me, fleece is cheaper, especially with a bigger cage. My boys can't use the pine, so it's CareFresh for me, and that stuff is NOT cheap! :) I use fleece on the floor and CareFresh in the boxes. I used one layer fleece and two layers of uhaul pads, then another layer of fleece. The fleece basically wraps around the whole thing, because that's about the only thing they don't eat! You can read TONS about what other people tried, used, worked, didn't work, etc, just run a search on fleece. Good luck!

Sorry, i see it now. I also have some pics in my album of how i set up litter boxes upstairs in the kitchen. I read they like to munch hay and do their business for hours a day, so i set up the litter boxes under the hayrack and they trained themselves!! The rest of the kitchen stays pretty darn clean and i just change the boxes every two days or so, depending on smell, you wouldn't believe how much they use them!! What MissJean said about pads under thier hideys, etc, is great also. I sewed them pads under there so i can change them more often and not change the whole thing more than every week or so. Plus, especially for me, fleece is cheaper, especially with a bigger cage. My boys can't use the pine, so it's CareFresh for me, and that stuff is NOT cheap! :) I use fleece on the floor and CareFresh in the boxes. I used one layer fleece and two layers of uhaul pads, then another layer of fleece. The fleece basically wraps around the whole thing, because that's about the only thing they don't eat! You can read TONS about what other people tried, used, worked, didn't work, etc, just run a search on fleece. Good luck!

I browsed your photos
so you put the carefresh under the fleece?
I like the idea of having the upstairs as a potty station.
I may just end up using just pine shavings up there.

Whistles also pees in his hut. But that could be because his food is so close to his hut/sometimes he drags food into his hut.
If he still pees in his hut in the larger cage I may also just leave his hut and upstairs JUST shavings.

So I've read https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/21568/

From what I've gathered I should wash and dry the fleece atleast 3 times before using.
And when using I should have a layer or 2 underneath the fleece? What layering do you use for your fleece bedding?(starting from the bottom of a freshly cleaned cage)

I only had to prewash the fleece once. I idea is to remove any residue from the manufacturing process that will prevent the fleece wicking. You can test this by pouring some water on washed/dried fleece. If the water soaks through you're ready to go. If it beads up on the surface, wash again.
You need something absorbant under the fleece. Most people use old towels. Two layers is usually enough and a bath towel is about the perfect size for a 4x2 C&C.

I only had to prewash the fleece once. I idea is to remove any residue from the manufacturing process that will prevent the fleece wicking. You can test this by pouring some water on washed/dried fleece. If the water soaks through you're ready to go. If it beads up on the surface, wash again.
You need something absorbant under the fleece. Most people use old towels. Two layers is usually enough and a bath towel is about the perfect size for a 4x2 C&C.

Just so I'm clear (a bit off topic here) that 4x2 C&C means 4ft by 2 ft of coroplast and grids right?

So I shouldn't have to double fleece or towels? Because if my understanding is correct. His new cage will be 4ft by 2 ft with an added loft.

I have a fleece comforter on the floor, fleece, two layers of uhaul pads and then fleece again, all sewn together. I then put two small cat litter boxes up there with shredded newspaper on the bottom, layer of CareFresh and then some hay on top. I just cut the boxes down a little on one side so they can hop in and out and left a good size lip on it so it helps keep the litter in, not all over the fleece, because it's a pain in the arse to get off the fleece a lot of times. 4x2 is the grid count, as in four grids by two grids, not feet. I've heard people saying that towels stink faster, i've really enjoyed the uhaul pads with no noticeable smell, even after a week or more. I'll take a clearer picture and post it if you want to check again in a few.

what are uhaul pads? like from the uhaul store?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.