Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Static Electricity

allison326

Cavy Slave
My little guy has static electricity. Any good ideas to remove it?

Two things. First, adjust the humidity in your piggies room. Wal Mart or where-ever sells humidistats (measures the humidity in the air) for about $3.00. You can put a pot of water on a radiator, or buy a cheap humidifier, but make sure you keep it clean, and follow all directions so you aren't adding bacteria to the air. More humidity = less static. Second, if your piggie is on fleece, make sure you don't use too much soap when you wash it, and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar to the rinse water. I always rinse my fleece at least twice. Watch the rinse, if you see a lot of suds, keep rinsing with vinegar in the rinse cycle until there are very few suds. This keeps your fleece static free, since you can't use fabric softener.

Are you noticing it when you touch him?

As for your piggie, I would simply pick him/her up and brush his fur out with a Guinea Pig brush (comb, etc.. will also do) to remove the static from him.

Next, follow the methods above to reduce possible static. Also, if it is on Fleece bedding, be sure to rid it of any static before putting it in the cage (often times, you simply have to pick it up and flap it out and you can hear the static go away)

;)

Hope I helped!

:)

It's when I'm holding him or brushing him. I don't know if it's bothering him or not but I feel bad. Is it wrong to say how cute he looks?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.