Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Starting on Veggies?

Tangled

Cavy Slave
Sorry if the title isn't clear... Basically, I just adopted my first guinea less than four hours ago. Our first order of business was clean bedding and a manicure (he came with the longest nails I've ever seen.), and while I was clipping my BF and I kept him distracted with a carrot.
He came with a bag of guinea pig crunchies/pellets, and I'm not sure he's ever seen a carrot before, he was so excited! I offered him a piece of lettuce next, which was met with just as much enthusiasm.

I definitely want to introduce him to more veggies, but if he's never had them before (or not for a long time, at any rate), what is the best way to go about giving them to him? I don't want to accidentally make him sick.

Thanks!!

I would start with the basics there is a great thread in diet on what they can have and how much and how many times per week. https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/post-254730 I would give the staples (the every day ones) and add slowly the once in a while ones. Also no more than 1 cup per day. I give each pig 1/2 cup in the am and 1/2 in the evening.

It sounds like he has definitely had veggies before if he was that enthusiastic! Usually if they have never had them they don't know what to do with it :p .. but he may also just be very outgoing and found out quick that veggies are good!! :) I would introduce them slowly just in case. When I get a new piggy I usually try and introduce veggies during lap time, a piece of lettuce, or pepper, or whatever. If they like it I leave a bit in the cage for them. You can introduce something new every day, and find out what they like and leave a little bit of what they like in their cage for them, leave a little bit more for them every day. Usually by a week of having them I am feeding them the full amount of veggies that a guinea pig should have daily. I have never had an issue doing it that way :) ... just be sure to change it up for him, and not to feed him too much of the veggies that could cause soft poops! There is a really good veggie chart on this site to know what veggies are good daily, and their vitamin C levels, and all sorts of stuff! Good luck with your new piggy!

I would start with the basics there is a great thread in diet on what they can have and how much and how many times per week. https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/22156/post-254730 I would give the staples (the every day ones) and add slowly the once in a while ones. Also no more than 1 cup per day. I give each pig 1/2 cup in the am and 1/2 in the evening.

That is the chart I was talking about too :) .. and kananaka is right start out with basic veggies that won't shock their systems!

Thanks for the link to the chart! I'll be going over it when I get home from work.

Can the veggies eventually replace the pellets, or will he still need some of those in his diet, too?

I would say he's had veggies if jumps right on them.

It's my understanding that he will need the pellets. 1/8 to 1/4 a cup a day needs to be made available to him.

yes, pellets are still needed in his diet, and unlimited timothy hay!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.