Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues Starting a Rescue?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello again,

So recently I was thinking about starting a sorta mini rescue. It would be nothing huge, maybe just one or two pigs at a time to start off with, but I want to make sure I know what I am getting into before I go any farther than just thinking about it. I know there would be a lot of cost, time, energy, etc involved but I think I am equipped to handle it. I was also thinking of selling bracelets to raise money for it, and asking for donations. The only thing I am worried about is the whole legal side of this. Would there be anything I have to do, stuff I would have to register for, etc to be able to run a small rescue like that and take donations? Also any tips would be helpful, and again this is only in the thinking stage, not sure how far it will really get, right now I just want info so that I am able to see what it would be like. I'm sure I will have a lot more questions to come soon. xD

Thanks,
The human, Fus, Ro Dah, and Godric

I don't know much about it, but I think you might be thinking about non profit status. It exempts individuals from paying taxes on donations in specific situations. Seeing that what you plan to do is small scale, I don't know if it would apply to you. It's a good idea to keep good records whenever you sell items just in case it reaches the net amount that you have to claim on your taxes. Your biggest expense will probably be vet bills so you might want to find a vet that will give you a discount. Depending upon where you live, you can probably apply for licensing from the Dept of Agriculture which goes a long way gaining credibility for a rescue. I'd suggest you come up with a contract you use when you adopt out guinea pigs and surrender forms when you accept them and keep those on file. That's where you'll address liability issues to protect you and the adopters.

Thank you very much! That helped me out a lot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.