Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Starter kit

Guineapigluvz

Cavy Slave
So as we all know black Friday is coming up :eek: and pet smart is having a sell on a starter kit comes with cage food bedding and water bottler only 29.00 :eek: so that's pretty cheap and ive seen this cage before and its a ok starter size on Christmas i plan to get a c&c cage but i was wondering if this is ok just for a while. I plan on getting different food tho. and of course hay :D

This is fine for one guinea pig, or as a travel carrier for two! I know which one you are talking about - my girl is in it now and has been for about 3 weeks (it was on same for $40) - but I am upgrading to a c&c cage ( and a buddy!) this weekend =).

Side note - make sure your guinea gets a lot of floor time though, to make up for the small cage! And don't use the second level, it just takes up more room. My girl gets at least three hours a day, whenever I'm out and about :).

Attachments

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1322094183.921797.jpg
(that is the cage she's looking at getting, guys)

Thanks so much!

Why spend money on a cage that's way too small when you can get grids and coroplast and build a coroplast cage? You can build it in less than a day. I'd just build a coroplast cage.

That cage is NOT large enough for one guinea pig. Please save your money and spend it on cubes and coroplast. You can get cubes for around $20, and coroplast for around $15, and wind up with a much better, much more spacious cage. There's no point in spending $29 for a cage to use for one month.

I agree 100% with pinky and bpatters. Getting that will just waste your money. The cage is useless, the food is crap, the only things that would be worth it are the bottle and bedding (IF you want to go the bedding route even). I would just make a C&C. It would save time and money and your pig wouldn't be in a tiny wee cage.

I'd go with what they say - I had to get one anyway because I needed something for mine to travel in for a 4 hour drive that I make during holidays, and I have to take her with me whenever I go out of town for the week. I forget everyone else doesn't have to drive places all the time! If you do have grids available (unfortunately at school I only had the target ones available, so we had to wait a couple weeks) then you should go with those, and make a temporary cage with vinyl until you can get coroplast! It's $20 for grids, and you can get a vinyl shower curtain for $2 at Walmart or target :).

I bought a similar one yesterday for traveling reasons also. In addition to traveling over the holidays, my husband and I found out yesterday that we are going to move cross-country in the spring so we needed something that would work in the car.

I bought a similar one yesterday for traveling reasons also. In addition to traveling over the holidays, my husband and I found out yesterday that we are going to move cross-country in the spring so we needed something that would work in the car.

Yeah, I wanted one big enough for two to travel in, since I knew I'd get a second one for when the opportunity popped up. I go out of town every couple weeks to visit home or a friend, so it's always at least a 2 hour drive, since my pets always come with me! Since I couldn't find grids, I pretty much left her in there night and while I was in class. The rest of the time was floortime morning and evening! Sometimes for 6 hours at one time :).

I finally got grids the other day! I'm so excited to set up the cage!

If I needed a cage for travel, I wouldn't buy it from a pet store that sells animals. You can call your local shelter or rescue to see if they sell used cages. You'll probably get it for less money and you'll be supporting a good cause.

If you go the shower curtain route you need to make sure you cover it with fleece so your piggy can't get to the plastic and eat it. I use a vinyl tablecloth with a fleece pad over it then a few extra small pads in the high potty areas.

Pinky, that is a good idea that not many people think of. I would definitely get a c&c cage to start with, you are saving yourself money and all of the hassle.

I agree, C&C Cages are the best! You can make them and build them the way that you want to. They're very easy to modify and expand. And store bought cages are too expensive and as they say a "glorified litter box." When I first had my pigs when I was living with my parents I had a store bought cage but now all my pigs live in C&C Cages and they love them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.