Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grow Your Own Started My Own Garden: Questions

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone!

When Spring began, so did my Piggy garden.

I have 2 Yellow Bell Pepper plants, wheat grass, 2 strawberry plants, a Cherry Tomato plant, and carrot plants. I also have Cilantro planted along with them.

Now, here are my questions:

We planted in rows, but rain moved the Cilantro seeds around. So it is by no means in rows. It is kinda scatters between all of my non-herbal plants. My question is: Should I just dedicate an area of my yard to herbs? I ordered Clover seeds as well so I can begin to feed more forages, and I just now realized that they spread and you should plant herbs away from your garden.....

Would it be a good idea to do this?

I am hoping to save the 40 dollars a month we spend on food for the Piggies-- Mainly in Bell Peppers, though.

:)

Thanks all!

It doesn't really matter. I plant herbs in amongst my vegetables. Cilantro seems to go to seed pretty fast in warm weather, and if left to go to seed will scatter and then cilantro plants will come up all over your garden. Which is fine with me--I just harvest them no matter where they grow.

Parsley will last much longer without going to seed. Parsley will even overwinter.

Clover will spread and be hard to remove. It will take over. You might want to grow it in a container and make sure it doesn't go to seed.

I grow bell peppers, but each plant doesn't really produce very many peppers for hungry pigs.

Why not grow lettuce? You can start it and grow it all year long as long as you keep it watered and protected in winter.

Lettuce is definitely a good idea. You use it everyday and it grows all year round. You can work it out so that you plant new seeds every week/every two weeks and have a constant supply of mature/ready to pick lettuces.

Growing carrots is also a good idea, because you get the carrot tops! All the carrots I buy from the supermarket have had their tops removed :(.

Thank you guys!

I have 200 Clover seeds. Will they fit in a container that could hold a mature strawberry plant? And can I put them close to each other?

Lettuce is a great idea. But it won't keep growing so I have to replant seeds all the time?

I have a whole corner of ourr yard dedicated to lettuce, we must have at least 30 plants. A section is human lettuce, the rest is for the pigs. My dad lets our plants go to seed every year and come may we end up with lettuce everywear. We also grow tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, raspberries, cucumber, and a bunch of other plants.

I have a whole corner of ourr yard dedicated to lettuce, we must have at least 30 plants. A section is human lettuce, the rest is for the pigs. My dad lets our plants go to seed every year and come may we end up with lettuce everywear. We also grow tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, raspberries, cucumber, and a bunch of other plants.

Will Lettuce keep growing after you harvest and how do you harvest it?

yes, it will during the season. I live in canada, lettuce won't grow year round. I simply pick the leaves towards the base of the plant, the older, larger ones. I never pick the young little ones, because I want the plant to keep growing. Yes, after you pick a leaf it will still grow, but DO NOT pick all the leaves. It's best if you have 6 or 7 plants, so you can pick from some of them. Lettuce is one of the easiest things to grow, simply plant seeds and water it. It will resead it self every year, unless you grow it year round. You just need to let it go to seed. At this point no more lettuce will grow, and the plant will get extremely tall, and it will grow seeds.

Clover is really high in calcium so I'd plant something lower in calcium than that. I'd try and plant something that you can feed freely without worrying about it causing stones or sludge. I don't think I'd even feed it. Calcium to phosphorus ratio is 5.9:1 -- Clover, White

Clover is really high in calcium so I'd plant something lower in calcium than that. I'd try and plant something that you can feed freely without worrying about it causing stones or sludge. I don't think I'd even feed it. Calcium to phosphorus ratio is 5.9:1 -- Clover, White

I read that as well. Oh well. I got 200+ seeds of it for 99 cents. Not wasting much. :)

Thanks for letting me know exactly though, I was still planning on feeding it just in small amounts.
I won't even do that anymore. Thanks @pinky!

I am going to get several lettuce plants growing as well.

Is RED SALAD BOWL the same as Red Leaf, or what seeds should I look for? Do they have them in stores?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.