Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables staple foods

stelle

Cavy Slave
Hi
So i was wondering what are some good staple veggies to have that you can feed daily?
I dont have ton of space in my fridge for veggies (they seem to be bulky... :p ) and its a lot easier for me to buy veggies that i can feed daily/frequently during the week.
I know you can feed green and yellow bell pepers daily, also zucchini and of course red & green leaf lettuce.
Are there any other veggies you can feed daily?

Along side these I have carrots, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and red bell peper right now in my fridge.
Im going to pick up some more cilantro and kale also.

I have looked at the feeding guideline chart but it kind of just confuses me sometimes :boggled:

You're right about the daily staples.
1/4 Yellow or green bell pepper each for their daily vit C intake. Red or orange contains more sugars & should only be fed occasionally or when trying to convince a picky pig to like the taste. One slice of red bell pepper does however cover the whole daily intake for the average pig.

2 kinds of lettuce, there are so many variations of red leaf & green leaf to rotate. 2-3 medium or large leaves each.

Cilantro is a great daily staple as well if your pigs like it, otherwise referred to as "piggy crack". ;) As well as zucchini, but many pigs refuse it completely or need convincing.

Feed only these until your pigs eat them, and then introduce rotational veggies per ly's chart. Kale could cause bloat & shouldn't be fed in large quantities or often, carrots as a treat due to the high sugars & vitamin A. One cherry tomato is fine for most pigs, but due to the acidity some pigs are prone to mouth sores.

in the chart it says 25 grams of cilantro how much is that?

It's just there to give an estimate of the nutrients, most weights/volumes on the chart shouldn't actually be fed. A loose handful of cilantro is fine to give. :)

I should also add that cucumber contains mostly water & could also cause painful bloat, I normally only feed it during the summer, or when a pig is away from the cage a bit longer & need water.

What about other herbs and mints? I have a big herb garden every year. Basils and such and all kinds of different mints :)

Basil and mint can be fed a couple of times a week.

Is there certain mints that shouldn't be fed? What about oregano and tarragon?

Hi Lyonmom,

My guinea pigs favorite food by far is fresh grass and lots of it! if you have access to clean fresh grass I think its the best thing they can eat

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.