Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nails/Nail Trimming Squirming pigs?

BlueButterfly

Cavy Slave
Hi!
I'm having quite a bit of trouble trimming my girls nails, especially Holly's. I've looked up a ton of stuff on how to hold her and trim them right, she squirms so bad I'm afraid she's gonna fall and break her back. Before I could get away with grabbing her little foot and trimming a foot a day, but she won't even let me do that now. Her nails are getting pretty bad, and I don't know what to do about it. Harmony's too, she's more cooperative, but whenever I try to trim her nails, even if I'm just barely cutting the tip, she squeals and runs away. I know I didn't really hurt her, because her nail is fine, and she runs back up to me for cuddles a few minutes later. Advice?

I heard some where that some give carrot will trimming there GP..

One of my pigs is squirmy and I wrap him in a dish towel, hold him to my chest vertically with both hands, and have my husband trim them. His feet are still accessible and his back does not bend in any unnatural position.

It is a two person job in our house. My husband holds the girls and I trim the nails. He laughs at me, because I have trimmed their nails many, many times and my hands still shake. I have the styptic powder open and ready. Sort of like taking an umbrella so it won't rain. It is definitely NOT one of my favourite jobs!

i wont try i have the vet do it

My vet was doing first piggies nails. Since I got second piggy, it's going to be too expensive to pay for both. So I looked at many youtube videos how to trim piggies nails and finally today I did it :) saved 50$, plus I did it more gentle then my vet. My Rosie usually is screaming at vet's during trimming, but today she didn't make a sound :) I'm very happy :D

I firmly but gently just force my pigs through this ordeal. Two of them don't mind. The other screams as though I'm clipping off her leg rather than her nails. I put them in my lap and gently grab each foot at a time. If they pull away I keep going for it. Eventually they realize that I will pursue it until their nails are cut and just let me. It definitely gets better each time - they must remember that it's not such a big deal after all. I don't feed them treats during becaues I found that doesn't help in my case. I do reward them at the end.

It's a two person job in our household and we've found that carrots are our friend. One person holds the pig and the baby carrot and neither of them mind me handling their feet.

Like MissJean does, I also wrap my pigs in a towel with each foot sticking out, I hold my pigs firmly but gently with their backs against my chest and I start with the hind legs because I find that as time goes on my pigs get more and more aggravated and the nails on their hind legs tend to be longer and straighter making it a pretty quick job. Their front paws are the challenge, I have one girl who flails her head around screeeaming as if I am taking her leg off rather than the nail.. she squirms a ton and does pull her hand/arm away frequently, I just try to make sure I have a firm grasp on it and I take my time with each nail because hers are already rather short to begin with but they curl which makes getting the special little animal nail clippers around them difficult..
I never just go ahead and clip when it comes to my pigs front paws. She moves around so much that I would be afraid I'd clip the quick or worse, a toe.. What I do is locate the quick and try to position the clippers as close to it as I can without actually hitting it. Then I close the clippers around the nail WITHOUT clipping still, this way I am ensuring the spot while she is moving around, this way I know there won't be any slips or mess ups. Once I know thats the spot, then I go ahead and clip it.
There are those days though that clipping every single nail just isn't going to happen and you've just got to let your pig cool off for a few hours then try again later. Usually in those rare moments where my pig Vanek is being especially difficult, I bring in my secret weapon... my cat. Its a win win for Cat and I, not so much Vanek though, haha. Cat gets the satisfaction of observing these little creatures that live behind my bedroom door that she never gets to see, Vanek freezes up and goes into statue mode, and I get to clip every finger and toe nail! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.