Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Spot Cleaning Fleece

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone!

Well, I have a bit of a predicament.....

OK, so here's the scoop:

I have Fleece for bedding, with 2 layers of towels underneath. It is the best bedding I have ever used and I love it very much.

I have a Shop Vacuum (really high power, low noise, PERFECT for piggy stuff) and I have been using that to clean their playpen (which is connected to their cage) and I also use it to clean their cage.

I spot clean using this vacuum every 2 days. Cleaning is made easy because of this.

My cages have no big pieces of hay or many poops laying around.

Now, the problem is, that there are VERY small crumbly bits of hay on the Fleece that I cannot get to come off and into the vacuum. This gives the Fleece a rough feel...... I am worried about Bumblefoot maybe occurring? No signs have shown yet, though towards the time I clean the cage completely (clean the fleece, etc), the Piggies feet seem a little bit dark pink--red-ish colored. I was wondering a few things:

What causes Bumblefoot?

Will my cage cause bumblefoot? Some more background: The cage is cleaned EVERY friday top to bottom. And, it is spot cleaned every other day.

____

Thanks all!

What kind of hay are you using? If it's sharp, like timothy, I'd be concerned that they might get jabbed but if it's soft like orchard grass, I wouldn't worry. Bumblefoot is usually caused by a wire bottom cage that cuts into their soft footpads. I don't think hay would do that.

What kind of hay are you using? If it's sharp, like timothy, I'd be concerned that they might get jabbed but if it's soft like orchard grass, I wouldn't worry. Bumblefoot is usually caused by a wire bottom cage that cuts into their soft footpads. I don't think hay would do that.
It is Timothy hay and the pieces are so small in size that they can't be felt in small quantities, and they definitely aren't sharp, but all of these individual shards makes the fleece feel rough.

I try to keep the hay off the fleece, I use a throw away foil pan as a kitchen and put her hay in there. But when my partner gives her hay she puts it on the fleece and that happens, so when I do my every other day cleaning I flip the fleece so the hay shreds are on the bottom. Then I change the fleece once a week.

Bumblefoot is an infection that's caused by unclean wiring on the bottom of cages. What happens is the wiring/metal mesh makes the guineas feet sore and then they get infected by urine or fecal matter. I don't think hay would cause this as it shouldn't be as hard and tough, and either way you seem to be cleaning the cage a lot.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.