Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance sporadic outbursts of "I'm the boss"

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
i have three males who used to be in a 2x5. i just expanded to a 3x5 hoping that would ease this problem, but it hasn't. here's the issue: george (5 plus years old) is the boss of the herd. undisputed. he used to be quite gentle and sweet. now, every few weeks or so, he seems to get into this phase where he feels obligated to prove he's still the boss. he'll chase and mount the other two endlessly. kramer (under 1 year old) tolerates it, but newman (4 plus years old) screams and whimpers every time george takes a step towards him. it kind of gets on my nerves. there's no bloodshed, no physical violence really. i try to tell myself to just let them work it out. but should i expect that this "i'm still the boss" routine is going to continue to happen every few weeks? i thought expanding the cage and giving them more room would help, but it hasn't yet. any ideas? :sad:

I have three females in a 2 x 5 and one is dominant and annoys the others. I have 2 males in a 2 x 4 and they get along great. As long as there's no bloodshed, I'd let them be. I know it's annoying to you and the other two but sometimes there's not a lot you can do. My dominant female constantly chases the others out of the pigloos and just takes a quick nip when they walk by. The funny thing is, sometimes they seek her out. Must be some sort of love-hate relationship.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.