Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Spinach?

supertramp

Cavy Slave
I know there are loads of good veggie/fruit lists for guinea pigs online, but something that I haven't seen anywhere and am still unsure about is spinach. (Well, that and the other Americanised names). Can they eat fresh spinach leaves?

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
What I really mean is; is it healthy for a guinea pig to eat spinach? I don't want to give them something that is bad for them.

Yes, they can have spinach. Everything I have read said to go easy on it since it can cause kidney problems or bladder stones in some piggies. I give my girls spinach maybe a few days every few weeks and they like it.

If you go to www.guinealynx.com, there is a list of safe veggies. I have a list on my computer that I printed and carry with me when I go shopping, if I see something I think they may like.

Last edited:
OK thanks a lot for your help. It's good to know they can have such easily accessible leafy greens; those are their favorites.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
They mean red bell pepper, if I am not mistaken. I know that my store carries red, orange, and green bell peppers. They are not the same as hot peppers.

Spinach is great in small quantities (because of calcium and oxalic acid).

Oh wow, they really love it. Even the baby got over being terrified of being held in order to eat it AND ask for more. She only plucks up the courage to eat her absolute favorites during lap time and spinach seems to be top on the list now!

Is is possible to give spinach a few times a week, say twice??

My 2 like english spinach but go absolutely crazy over Bok chou!! If I put a whole bunch in there I swear they'd eat it :)

It's fine to give pigs spinach more than once a week. Just make sure you're not giving them too much, say, more than half a cup. That should be a good amount. =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.