Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Spayed/neutered piggies and litterbox training

Ape337

Cavy Slave
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with litterbox training altered piggies? I am in the process of adopting my first guinea pigs, and was curious if they are more reliable if altered. I've seen a huge difference with my rabbits. Thanks!

i can't speak to the altered vs not-altered part, but i can share what happened with my pigs and litter box training. i was always a little skeptical when reading about litter training - i couldn't imagine pigs being trained. then i bought 2 small litter pans. i lined them with a uhaul pd and a fleece/uhaul pad liner. that's where i put their hay. they spend alot of time in there and do much of their peeing and pooing in the box which gets change 2x day. the other thing is i have fleece forests and cabanas in each corner, along with extra uhaul pads and pillows. again, theta's where they do almost all their peeing and pooing, so it is easier to clean and the rest of the cage stays relatively free of mess. they did/do this on their own, i never intended to "train" them or even encourage them. it just seemed to come naturally for them. makes me happy, though. . by the way, none of my boys are neutered.

Guinea pigs can't be litter box trained. If they tend to poop in one area, you can put a litter box in there and see if they go there. Normally, wherever they eat and sleep is where you'll find most of their droppings.

Agree with pinky. Litter box training guinea pigs consists of putting litter boxes wherever they poop most. I have a box that I put their hay in. They do 80-90% of their peeing and pooping in there while eating. It's very effective.

Guinea pigs can't be litter box trained. If they tend to poop in one area, you can put a litter box in there and see if they go there. Normally, wherever they eat and sleep is where you'll find most of their droppings.

This doesn't always work, I have a STUBBORN little boy who will either move the litter box if it's not attached to the cage and then poo in the corner like he wanted to, or he will poop all around the litter box if I have it strapped into place.

My guinea pigs aren't "litter box trained" but they continually poop in generally the same area, using a "kitchen" box with their hay, pellets, veggies, etc in it helps a lot!

Can't speak to being "in tact" vs. "neutered" because my little boy has yet to be neutered but I don't think it's worth the risk to neuter them just because you hope they'll litter box train easier.

I have 3 neutered males and an intact female. The 3 males litter habit did not change at all after being neutered. They are messy and go everywhere, before and after neutered.

The female is very neat. She only goes in the litter box. I'm just lucky with her. Didn't train her at all. She just did it on her own.

Thanks everybody for your responses. I was just curious if they were at all reliable like rabbits are. The rescue I'm applying to already spay/neuters all their piggies. Thanks again :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.