Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Sows vs. Boar and Sow

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Hello!

I'm probably gonna be adopting 2 new guinea pigs very soon, so I was wondering which pair would be better to have (which would be easier to bond, less fighting, etc.):

-2 baby sows
-1 neutered male with 1 sow

It seems like a female pair can have a better chance at getting along than a pair of boars, but I've heard countless stories of guinea pig owners experiencing fighting females. Would a neutered boar and a sow be better? Would they fight at all? I really want to get baby guinea pigs, but I'm not sure if young boars can get neutered..? Sorry if my questions are kind of unclear.. lol I guess what I'm trying to say is which pair would work better/ get along without any squabbling.

Thanks!​

It depends on the personality of the pigs and their living environment more than anything else. As long as they're introduced properly, have plenty of room, and have 2 water bottles/food dishes and hideys they can't trap each other in, either pair would likely be fine. A large enough cage being the top priority.

It's always possible that two guinea pigs just won't get along, regardless of gender, so if possible I'd adopt a pair that's already bonded. I understand wanting to get babies, but in reality, they aren't babies for long, so it's better to prioritize the bond. Also, babies who previously got along well sometimes get testy during/after puberty, though that's more typical of boars.

Different vets have different ages they're comfortable neutering baby boars, usually around 4-5 weeks is the youngest, but you have to wait another month for all the sperm to die before putting your post-op boy with a female. So you could theoretically have a baby neutered boar, but sows would be much easier and cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.